Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

Im a male age 47 and Im pretty sure I have a UTI as a result

I'm a male age 47 and I'm pretty sure I have a UTI as a result of a bout with a Kidney Stone one week ago. When I was in the ER for the Kidney Stone they took a quick urine test and indicated there were slight signs of blood in the urine but no sign of infection. However, since I was released I've been struggling with the sense of needing to urinate and it has become increasingly painful. I finally gave in and tested my urine with a home test kit and it came out positive for WBC. I immediately started taking over the counter Phenazopyridine to relive the pain and began taking my girlfriend's antibiotics (nitrofur-macr 100 mg) which she had just started for her own UTI. I've been taking the nitrofur for two days now but the discomfort comes back anytime I stop the Phenazopyridine. Am I on the right track? Is there anything else I should be doing? I plan to go to my doctor or urgent care to get a full course of the nitrofur-macr 100 mg if that makes sense.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

How frequently are you feeling the symptoms?

Which tests were taken in the ER?

Did they prescribe any medicine?

Do you have fever or any other symptom?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind the initial visit to the ER was because of kidney stone pain in the left kidney. I've had bouts with kidney stones several times in the past so I'm familiar with the pain. I believe the stone shifted before I was seen by the ER doctor because the acute kidney pain subsided. However, the urgency to urinate remained. That feeling remains nearly constant and has only been controlled somewhat by the Phenazopyridine. In the ER they drew blood and they took a urine sample. They only told me that they say some blood in the urine and at the time, no sign of infection. They only prescribed Vicoden for pain if the kidney stone moved again. Five days later I visited by PC and he took an XRay and say no sign of a stone still "on the move". I have no fever and other than the need to urinate I feel O.K. but it is VERY distracting.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the information,

There can be a few possibilities.

Irritation from a stone in the lower part of bladder can also cause urgency.

But as the stone has not moved & there is WBC in urine, there can be an infection.

In 2 days antibacterial medicines should have some effect.

The bacteria can be resistant to nitrofurantoin or there can be other issues.

When you are not feeling improvement with nitrofurantoin, I would suggest to take an examination in urgent care.

Repeat urine analysis, culture can be taken.

Doctor can then decide which antibiotic would work better here.

As you are aware, please drink plenty of fluid which will help in these conditions.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Will the Urgent Care doctor be able to test/culture my urine even if I've been taking Phenazopyridine to find relief from the pain/urgency?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
The doctor will be able to take the tests.

Phenazopyridine is not an antibacterial.

It is for treating the symptom of burning, urge.

It would not affect culture though it can affect urine test for glucose & ketone.

That would not pose a problem in your case.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience