Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a family HX of hypothyroidism. I am feeling like I

Customer Question

I have a family HX of hypothyroidism. I am feeling like I have this problems since I have problems with dry skin, dark circles under my eyes, puffy face, edema, overweight and find it very hard to loose weight even on a very strict diet. My body temp swings from freezing to sweating bullets then back to cold. Low body temp, and generally fatigue. What blood tests do I need for a full thyroid work-up
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Hello Kim,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Following investigations are done for the full thyroid work up;

1) T3
2) T4
3) Free T3
4) Free T4
5) TSH; a repeat may be recommended.
6) Thyroid antibodies
7) Thyroid scan.

If all these are normal; other hormones like adrenal function tests would be recommended.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you actually treat and prescribe meds if necessary

Hello Kim,

Unfortunately we cannot prescribe here. This is a question answer site. Doctors cannot prescribe online as it is not legal. A personal office visit is required and physical examination is necessary to issue a script. Canadian and Asian online pharmacies can send the medications but these can be substandard and regulatory authorities can stop them.

I understand that this may not be the answer you are looking for. Your physician would be the best to help you. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

You can visit one of the centers run by the Health Resources and Services Administration, they offer affordable quality health care to people without insurance.

You can find a health center near you by clicking here :

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun