Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I get stabbing pains in the heal of my right foot. It feels

I get stabbing pains in the heal of my right foot. It feels like I'm stepping on shards of sharp glass. I have no symptoms in the left foot.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Does the pain is more in the early morning when you get up from bed (and after sitting for some time)?
Is there any specific point of tenderness?
Any significant past illness / injury / accident?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't notice it in the morning usually. I notice it as I go along in my day.

The pain is in the center of the heal. Past history is substancial. I have had 4 back,1 left knee, and 1 right wrist surgery. Left foot has 2 pathway damaged from surgery.

Back surgeon said that a foot doctor should look at it, he does not believe the surgery's have affected the right foot.

The conditions to consider for your heel pain are;

1) Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation

2) Retrocalcaneal bursitis; bursa are fluid filled sac (pocket like structures) for smooth movement of the tendon, which can get inflamed and termed bursitis. The heel bone is called calcaneum and the bursa below it is inflamed thus the term retrocalcaneal.

3) Plantar fasciitis; heel has got a soft tissue underneath called as plantar fascia, inflammation of which is called plantar fasciitis.

4) Calcaneal periostitis; heel bone inflammation

5) Calcaneal spurs; wear and tear arthritis forms small bone growth.

The treatment is almost same for all these conditions with the minor variations. Following may help you;

1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you

2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

3) Local analgesic ointment /spray

4) Physical therapy

5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.

6) Consideration of steroid shot

7) Shock wave therapy

8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear

There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective. Shock wave therapy is available in sport medicine clinics or physical therapy clinics.

You may consider consulting any of these specialists;

Podiatrist
MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation
Orthopedics

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine