Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Is it harmful to be taking for 5 months the wrong Metoprolol

Is it harmful to be taking for 5 months the wrong Metoprolol . Changed doctors and prescriptions got mixed up and i just discovered it. I was suppose to be taking 2 25 mil of Matoprolol tartrate a day and I was taking Metoprolol succer 25 mil twice a day instead.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I need few details. For which medical problem you were prescribed this drug? Is your blood pressure controlled? What are your readings mostly? What is your pulse rate most of the times? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been put on it for atrial fib and some blood pressure problems . my blood pressure is usually fine and my pulse is 60 to 80. I have had an ablation and have not had atrial fib for 7 months. I also have a small leak in a valve but it is working just fine. I think those are the reasons i am on it.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
connie thanks a lot fir your input. I am sorry to hear that you got this mix up of drugs. Yes there is a difference between these drugs. The basic difference is the time for which these drugs remain in the body to treat the disease for which they have been prescribed. Metoprolol tartrate doesn't remain in the blood for 24 hours but succinate does. So yes it can be harmful to be on metoprolol succinate instead of tartrate. However it is not necessary that you have got any harm. If you don't have any symptoms lie high blood pressure, chest pain, shortness of breath specially on lying down flat or while walking then you don't need to stress yourself. However you should contact your doctor on monday to get your medications changed and he should asses you for any harm by getting an EKG. But in my opinion, since your blood pressure is fine and if you don't have any symptoms which i have mentioned above then just relax and contact your doctor. I wish you all the best for everything, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I took one metoprolol succ today . I will not take one tonight. Should I take metoprolol tartrate tomorrow and tomorrow night . Would that be alright?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your input. No you should not take succinate tonight but keep taking it once daily till you get assessed by your doctor. Don't switch to tartrate till you get it changed by your doctor. Your blood pressure is fine with succinate so don't stop it but take once daily till you see your doctor, keep checking your blood pressure once daily. Both drugs are otherwise same. Please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery