Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

I am worried about Raid ant and coach spray. My brother sprayed

I am worried about Raid ant and coach spray. My brother sprayed it fairly close to our pool a couple of hours ago and it is still damp in certain areas. It was done next to a pool. However, very heavy rain is forecast for Orlando this afternoon(about now) and I am worried in case it gets into the pool. Can the pool get contaminated to the point that we can't go in the pool? I have OCD and I am very concerned about this.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

That depends upon the quantity sprayed. And the time elapsed since it was sprayed to the time when it will rain and get accumulated in to the pool.

Honestly the concentration of the spray in the pool water would be too low to harm any one but ideally keeping in to consideration the standard precautions, you should discard the first accumulated water in the pool to make absolutely sure that there's nothing wrong with the water and its completely safe for you and your family.

I would have done the same.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How would you discard it? It was applied nearly 2 and a half hours ago and we have only had intermittent periods of light to moderate rain which lasted 10 mins a piece. The rain started approx. 1 hour after application.

Can you change your pool's water?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm not the villa owner, I'm renting it.

Ok.

Under ideal circumstances, it should be changed it the spray was done in close vicinity of pool and if you are sure that any water from the surroundings will definitely contaminate it.

I wont suggest you to use the pool like this ( and certainly this is what i would do for myself as well as for my kids). Would not take any chance to use the pool water with the fear of organophosphate contamination.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What's organophosphate contamination?

These are group of insecticide agents which are harmful to living beings ---- insects as well as humans.

I have seen many cases of accidental organophosphate poisoning and that is the reason why i would be cautious.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can you visibly tell from looking at the pool to determine whether it was contaminated or not?

No one can, unless there is huge amount added and you clearly see the color changes in water surface due to chemicals added.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How serious is this organophosphate contamination? At least an hour lapsed after contamination before any rain started and it appeared as though the area closest to the pool had dried up, although there was still some dampness fairly close to the pool. The rain was moderate at best.

Practically speaking ---- not serious.

But theoretically this can be serious. The chances of poisoning might be less than 1% , but they do exist.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How much of it is considered dangerous?

Varies from one person to another.

Amount that reaches systemic circulation after absorption from stomach/skin.

Also depends upon age and size of individual.

There is no amount considered safe for this.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The area in the immediate proximity of the pool was dried before the rain came on, I'm fairly certain of that now. There was an area fairly close to it that was fairly damp the last time I checked before the rain came on( I reckon 20mins). What would you say about the chances of anything occurring?

Okay, at this point the chances of any problem are minimal.

But not zero.

I have already told you the same thing repeatedly, and i would never say that it would be safe for you.

Goodluck.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do apologise, I suffer from a severe OCD(which is getting treated) and I always try to seek reassurance.

I can understand your concerns.

But i have already given you the answer to your original query.

I will appreciate if you Rate my courtesy so that i get compensated for the time and expertise spent on your question.

Goodluck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know you have, but as part of my disorder, I always have to seek reassurance no matter who it is from. You see the risk mentioned above, does that also mean spraying the stuff fairly close to the pool and some of the airborne stuff(not the concentrated part) gets into the pool?

Yes. This includes the aerosol part that settles down later on the area it is sprayed on.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am quite scared now if I'm honest.

No need to get scared.

Joust avoid going in to the pool. And make arrangements to get the pool water changed (talk to the landlord).

As far as you are away from the pool water, there is absolutely no risk.

Goodluck.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is a negligible risk though, isn't it?

Yes.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is probably not going to happen the more I think about it. The chances of it affecting the pool water due to rain is probably nil since the area close to the pool was dry before it came on, and the other area I don't believe was close enough for it to be affected by rain splash droplets. The only concern I have is the aerosol part.

Yes the risks are negligible, if you are only talking about aerosol part.

Stay relaxed.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX for the OCD behaviour it is clearly a problem for me as I have to seek reassurance when it gets bad.

Goodluck and stay relaxed.

Kindest Regards.