I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.
Yes, there can be other causes too;
1) thyroid disease
2) other hormonal disorders
Following are the causes (comprehensive list) of mild edema in lower legs:
1) Venous valvular incompetence
2) Obstruction of the lymphatic outflow
3) Dependent edema which can occur because of the prolonged standing or sitting.
4) Congestive heart failure
5) Kidney diseases
6) Protein deficiency
10) Other hormonal disorders
11) Idiopathic (no cause ascertained).
Following measures may help you:
1) Avoid prolonged standing or walking for long distances in a single stretch.
2) Whenever you sit; keep your legs elevated on a chair or a sofa or stool.Do not hang the legs, otherwise gravity will increase the swelling.
3) Exercises / physical therapy
a) Lie down straight and raise your leg and feet for 10-20 seconds. Repeat this for ten times (twice a day whole set).
b) When you sit; pull the feet towards you for 10-20 seconds. Repeat it for ten times twice a day.
4) Raise leg end of your bed by 6 inches.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."
Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.