Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a friend who at least twice a month starts sweating,

I have a friend who at least twice a month starts sweating, gets cold on the inside, starts vomiting and runs a low grade fever. We thought it could be food poisoning but now we are worried it is something worse. He keeps going in and out of the shower and gets so weak that it last for 3 days. We don't know what it could be or even what Dr to start going to...please help us find an answer. Thank you
Hi--does your friend have any medical conditions or take any medications? How high a fever?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No medical conditions and no medicines

OK--I can't give you just one diagnosis here but of course he needs to see a doctor and initially it can be a Family Practitioner or an internist. He needs blood work, a full exam, and perhaps a ct scan of the chest and abdomen. Here are the possibilities--low thyroid, low cortisol levels, possibly a rare condition called carcinoid which is an intestinal tumor that secrets serotonin and can cause these symptoms, an infection like tuberculosis or viral as in HIV, and, finally, an occult cancer like lymphoma. I can't be at all certain which of these it could be, but the symptoms are concerning enough that the sooner he sees a doctor, the better
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information. I will have him look into all these. Could it be a sign of anything with the prostate? He just informed me he has an enlarged prostate

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A prostate infection wouldn't cause intermittent symptoms like this and I don't think it's a sign of prostate cancer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for all of your information...at least I have something to go on...Have a great night

My pleasure but please let me know how he does and remember to rate my service to you