Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

Had a sleep study in 2008 which showed overall AHI of 2.8,

Had a sleep study in 2008 which showed overall AHI of 2.8, with REM AHI of 28.5 (non REM AHI 0.8). Also showed 32 minutes of O2 says at 85-59% without scorable obstructive events present. Lowest O2 saturation observed was 73% during REM sleep. Am having orthognathic surgery specifically for dental reasons, but one of my docs suggested that it might help with my hypoxemia. I know mandibular advancement is sometime use to treat OSA, but is it likely to be helpful if hypoxemia wasn't associated with scorable obstructive events? Currently sleeping with O2 at 2L/min, but haven't had any overnight oximetry since 2008.
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I will try to be simple and specific. If hypoxemia was not associated with any scorable obstructive events, the orthognathic surgery is not going to be helpful for your sleep apnea. Any surgery to treat sleep apnea is helpful if it is done for that specific area which is causing obstruction. For example if level of obstruction is at oro pharynx (due to palate and tonsil), there is no role of orthognathic surgery for such cases. In your case as hypoxemia was not associated with scorable obstructive events, so any surgery for any obstructive lesion will not be helpful for sleep apnea in that case. You should definitely go for this surgery for your dental problems but should not expect much from that regarding your sleep apnea. I am sorry but i have to clarify you all this. I wish you all the best for your surgery, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.