Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I know heart attack symptoms are different in women. I am

I know heart attack symptoms are different in women. I am a 56 year old woman. I am experiencing unusual pain in my back, lower shoulder blade area towards the center of my back. I also am experiencing some indigestion type symptoms (feeling the need to burp alot). I don't know if the pain I am experiencing is a back spasm or something related to my heart. I just took a baby aspirin just in case as well as a tums. Should I be calling 911. the pain is not abating. it hurts when I take a breath
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Are you having palpitations?

Heart burn?

Shortness of breath?

Any concurrent medical illness like diabetes or previously diagnosed cardiac problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no palpitations, no heart burn but burping a lot, no shortness of breath, although my asthma has been worse than usual and was being bad enough that it was part of my dream before I woke up this morning, I have high blood pressure, no previously diagnosed cardiac problems, but family history is positive

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for the useful information Dan.

This seems more like to be related to a muscle spasm or stomach issue (reflux or ulcers or a combination of both).

Please note that these stomach problems can get worse with aspirin and patients with cardiac problem requiring long term aspirin therapy are given enteric coated preparation of aspirin to avoid any damage to the stomach.

In your case, honestly the symptoms do not classically represent a cardiac problem but as per standard guidelines any new symptom that might suggest a cardiac problem should always be investigated, therefore right now you should go to ER and have an EKG done.

It may eventually turn out to be a muscle spasm or stomach issue but having it investigated and ruling out a cardiac problem will put your mind at ease as well.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties