Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

i am a 45 year old woman- woke up this morning left eye is

i am a 45 year old woman- woke up this morning left eye is really red- is this pink eye? should i treat with over the counter pink eye drops?

Hello Deborah Astern ,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

This is likely to be pink eye. There are three causes of it; viral, bacterial and allergic. Viral pink eye is the most common cause and usually resolve spontaneously. The pain and redness are not as severe in viral pink eye as in bacterial infection. The discharge too is watery. If there is a thick discharge; it can be bacterial pink eye which would need antibiotic drops. If there is no pain, it is likely to be allergic (allergy eye drops can be employed). If there is redness with mild pain, over the counter pink eye drops can be used.

To summarize;

Pink eye (conjunctivitis) can occur due to;

1) allergy

2) viral

3) bacterial

Usually viral subsides on its own. Allergic conjunctivitis also subsides if allergen is withdrawn. It may need anti allergic drops. The bacterial conjunctivitis need antibiotics drops. The bacterial pink eye has severe symptoms of pain, redness, and thick discharge of some color like greenish etc.

Please read about the pink eye in this resource;

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."