Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

willl iodine help my low thyroid? Is it true tha you can put

willl iodine help my low thyroid? Is it true tha you can put Iodine on the skin and the body will absorb it only if needed. I take 25mg of synthriod. my test run 2 to3 my doctor says it is in range and is Ok. I think it is still a problem??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

May I ask if you have any medical conditions or take any medication?

Customer:

no health problems except low thyroid and borderline blood pressure. 25 mg synthroid, 20 lipsonpril. . problrm losing weight and sometimes low temperature.

Dr Brims :

Okay, iodine is usually present in salt an most food, so it is unlikely you are deficient in iodine

Dr Brims :

Can you see my replies?

Customer:

very small at the top I am no sure I am seeing everything

Dr Brims :

Okay, I said iodine is usually present in salt an most food, so it is unlikely you are deficient in iodine

Dr Brims :

Why do you think iodine is the problem?

Customer:

OK, I think i have a problem because i have a hard time losing weight for no apparent reason sometimes tired and cold feet , even when my thyroid test are in the normal range?

Dr Brims :

If your thyroid test is normal then this is not related to iodine at all.

Dr Brims :

Have you asked your doctor to increase your synthroid dose?

Customer:

normal is from .5 to 4,5 a big spread.

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Can you see my last questions?

Customer:

no

Dr Brims :

Have you asked your doctor to increase the dose of synthroid?

Customer:

I have suggested it but can not get a straight answerer , that is why i am on here. I know something is wrong just dont know what to do.

Dr Brims :

Do you know the levels of your thyroid test?

Customer:

yes they have ranged between 2 and 4 for about 3 years.

Dr Brims :

Okay, then I would recommend you ask your doctor to check your serum cortisol, it is a hormone in your body, but when it is excessive, it can cause weight gain and fatigue, I don't think you should pursue the thyroid as a cause any longer

Customer:

I cant see all of your answer

Dr Brims :

I said, I would recommend you ask your doctor to check your serum cortisol, it is a hormone in your body, but when it is excessive, it can cause weight gain and fatigue, I don't think you should pursue the thyroid as a cause any longer

Customer:

excessive, it can cause weight gain and fatigue, I don't think you should pursue the thyroid as a cause any longer

SThis all I see

Dr Brims :

I would recommend you ask your doctor to check your serum cortisol, it is a hormone in your body, but when it is

Dr Brims :

Dr Brims :

Can you see now?

Customer:

yes

Dr Brims :

Okay, do you understand ?

Customer:

not the full answer, I did get the first part of your answere

Customer:

what is Excessive??

Dr Brims :

Excessive means too much

Customer:

Too much what?

Dr Brims :

Excessive cortisol

Dr Brims :

It is a hormone that is produced in your body

Customer:

I am not seeing your full answers

Dr Brims :

Cortisol is a hormone produced in your body

Customer:

I can only see a single line

Dr Brims :

WHen there is excess cortisol in your body

Dr Brims :

It can cause weight gain and fatigue

Customer:

now I see. so how do you get rid of Cortisol

Dr Brims :

There are several different methods, it would likely involve removing tissue from your gland through your sinuses

Dr Brims :

But you should have the test before considering any type of treatment

Customer:

are you talking about removing tissue from the pituitary gland

Dr Brims :

Yes, removing tissue from the pituitary gland

Customer:

how do i get the tests?

Dr Brims :

You ask your doctor to test your cortisol levels and ACTH levels, they can also be done at any lab

Customer:

OK is there a special doctor to do this

Dr Brims :

I would recommend an endocrinologist for this

Customer:

What is ACT?

Dr Brims :

It is a hormone produced by the pituitary gland that stimulates cortisol secretion

Customer:

OK I will try that. Thanks a lot for your Help

Dr Brims :

Your very welcome

Dr Brims :

I am happy I could help

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience