Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am a 52 yo male. I am concerned about slight swelling in

I am a 52 yo male. I am concerned about slight swelling in my ankles. This has been happening off and on for several years. When I wake in the morning, there is no swelling, but as the day goes on the swelling will occur. I went to my doctor about 3 months ago and he said I had good heart sounds, and I had my liver enzymes checked about 6 months ago and all were normal. I am very active. I walk 1 1/2 to 3 miles a day depending on how much time I have. I can do this at a 15 min pace without getting winded. I drive about 2-300 miles 4 days a week. I take allopurinol to prevent gout, simvastatin for cholesterol, and Exforge for BP. I have heard that Exforge can cause swelling and am wondering if that along with all the driving could be the cause, of if it may be something else.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Yes, Exforge can cause leg swelling as a side effect.

mysticdoc :

THis is not concerning.

mysticdoc :

Since your heart and kidneys are normal, another possibility likely is the venous incompetency.

mysticdoc :

The leg veins can be less supported and can be become incompetent causing delayed blood circulation.

mysticdoc :

The blood flow is normal, since there is no problem in the arteries.

mysticdoc :

But, if the veins are not working well, then leg swelling can take place with standing or walking.

mysticdoc :

This is also a harmless condition

mysticdoc :

Venous swelling can be successfully treated with compression stockings during daytime when you are standing or walking.

mysticdoc :

Compression stockings are available in medical supplies stores with your doctor's prescription.

mysticdoc :

Low dose diuretic like hydrochlorothiazide can be used to prevent swelling as well.

mysticdoc :

The venous problem can be diagnosed by the venous reflux studies.

mysticdoc :

A vascular surgeon also may be consulted with although this is not an urgent consultation.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
mysticdoc : Hi there,
mysticdoc : Yes, Exforge can cause leg swelling as a side effect.
mysticdoc : THis is not concerning.
mysticdoc : Since your heart and kidneys are normal, another possibility likely is the venous incompetency.
mysticdoc : The leg veins can be less supported and can be become incompetent causing delayed blood circulation.
mysticdoc : The blood flow is normal, since there is no problem in the arteries.
mysticdoc : But, if the veins are not working well, then leg swelling can take place with standing or walking.
mysticdoc : This is also a harmless condition
mysticdoc : Venous swelling can be successfully treated with compression stockings during daytime when you are standing or walking.
mysticdoc : Compression stockings are available in medical supplies stores with your doctor's prescription.
mysticdoc : Low dose diuretic like hydrochlorothiazide can be used to prevent swelling as well.
mysticdoc : The venous problem can be diagnosed by the venous reflux studies.
mysticdoc : A vascular surgeon also may be consulted with although this is not an urgent consultation.
mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile:
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I got kicked offline. Are there any signs to look for?

Yes, you should look for any decrease in your exercise capacity ( denotes heart problem), puffy face ( kidney problem), decreased urination ( kidney or prostate problem), one sided leg swelling along with pain ( DVT)

Otherwise, there is no need for concern.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would you expect the swelling to get worse over time? Over the last couple of years, I haven't noticed a difference. The only pitting I see is when I press rather firmly on my shin bone, none to speak of anywhere else.

Very unlikely.
It will likely remain the same since you lead a very active lifestyle.

Best wishes