Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

Hi, recently I was diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst. First I

Hi, recently I was diagnosed with a pilonidal cyst. First I went to a dermatologist who lanced and drained the cyst. She also put me on Keflex. After this painful procedure I felt way better. The dermatologist asked me to see a general surgeon which I did. He told after looking at the cyst that it needs to be removed but it's beyond the scope of general surgeon and that I should immidetely go to a hospital to have it removed by colorectal surgeon. I went to a hospital and I was seen by two general physicians and they told me that I don't need surgery at this point because the cyst was drained and it looks as it is healing well. They also told me that I might need a surgery if the cyst reoccurs. I'm confused by those two conflicting opinions. Who is right? I feel much better and the cyst disappeared and the wound is slowly healing. Do I really need a surgery?

DR HASAN :

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

DR HASAN :

Were you seen by a colorectal surgeon?

Customer: no, the ER doctors determined that that is not necessary
DR HASAN :

Do you have an appointment planned for a colorectal surgeon?

Customer: They referred me to a general surgeon who dealt with this type of cysts before. They told me that surgery is not necessary at this point unless it reoccurs
DR HASAN :

Thanks a lot for your input. First of all i am sorry to hear about your problem, i do understand that it is very painful to have pilonidal cyst.

Customer: I have an appointment with a general surgeon who is affiliated with the hospital to which I went
DR HASAN :

I agree with that general surgeon that surgery at this point is not necessary.

DR HASAN :

your wound is healing well so let it heal and it's a fair possibility that it will not recur.

Customer: It was extremely painful but after lancing and draining it I feel way better
DR HASAN :

Just in case it recur, you can get it removed.

DR HASAN :

Moreover in the absence of any cyst as it is right now, it's not possible to operate on that area.

DR HASAN :

So just let your wound heal.

Customer: The general physicians in the hospital determined that surgery is not necessary at this point. Please re-read my original question
DR HASAN :

ok

Customer: There were some conflicting opinions but I'm leaning towards agreeing with the doctors from the NYU hospital
DR HASAN :

I just misunderstood but i am of the opinion that you don't need surgery at this point.

DR HASAN :

I am myself a surgeon.

DR HASAN :

we never remove pilondal cyst after it has been lanced and it is healing well.

DR HASAN :

Removal is required only if it recurs.

DR HASAN :

Any question in your mind?

Customer: The pain almost completely disappeared and the wound is healing well
DR HASAN :

Yes that's the point.

DR HASAN :

Actually we are concerned for these cysts because they tend to recur.

DR HASAN :

But in many cases it never recurs.

Customer: Should I still see a general surgeon and if so when should I do it? Now or when the cyst reoccurs?
DR HASAN :

So once it has been lanced and wound is healing well, there is no need to go for removal till recurs.

DR HASAN :

In my opinion you should let your wound heal and if the cyst doesn't recur, there is no need to see anyone.

DR HASAN :

Here is a link from mayo clinic where you can read that it needs surgery if it recurs.

DR HASAN :

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pilonidal-cyst/DS00747/DSECTION=treatments-and-drugs

Customer: Great...thank you!
DR HASAN :

Read it and get back to me.

DR HASAN :

You are most welcome.

DR HASAN :

It clearly says that you MAY need surgery if it recurs.

DR HASAN :

I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.