A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Hi ,my daughter felt a swollen node under her chin and it was

Customer Question

Hi ,my daughter felt a swollen node under her chin and it was painful and it moves around and tender ,and i'm very worrried about her she's 16 and just stating to live her life ,her doctor put her on sulfameth/trimethoprim 800 and i was just wondering how concern should i be and how long should it take this to work ,she said it don't hurt as much as it did and she broke out with a lil fever blister on he rliplast week and about 2 months ago a bruse from ,she dont where on her arm , please explain to me what could be going on.and how long should these meds take ,concerned mom.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to our site and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

The most common cause for a lump there is a swollen lymph node. Lymph nodes are part of the immune system and their job is to drain the lymph system. They typically swell during and after any kind of an infection or inflammation in the area that they filter. Something as simple as a minor sore throat can cause it. Another possibility is an infected salivary gland. Either is just a minor illness, and swollen lymph nodes are expected.

She is on antibiotics for any infection and they should take 4-5 days to help. She should be sure to take all of the antibiotic even if she starts to feel better. It really isn't anything to be overly concerned about at this point.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so i read if it tender and moves around and is painful ,it should'nt be anything serious is this true and how long would it actually take to desolve completely and should i expect it to just softfen up or quickly disapear in 4 to5 days are it will desolve slowly, and is this a comom place for children to be swollen in and are there any other signs pointing to anything else

A swollen lymph node is as common as a mosquito bite in children, and in some adults. It is nothing to worry about. Sometimes you can feel a whole chain of lymph nodes all the way around the neck. That is what they are supposed to do. They are just doing their job after an infection. The lymph node will soften and go back to normal within 2-3 weeks as the body takes care of "clean-up" after an infection.

There are lymph nodes all over the body that perform exactly the same function. It's just that sore throats are so common in children that you find them most often in the neck.

Nodes that are swollen all around the neck that don't go down, along with feelings of fatigue can be a sign of mononucleosis (a viral infection) which is also quite common in teens. However, you didn't mention that your daughter had been feeling more tired for several weeks.

I'll be happy to help if you have more questions about this.

Kind regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no she's been real active ,she said somtimes she feel a lil tied at night and she's say she is having lil breakout bumps that looks like heat to me ,and she seems to be up and about ,the nurse said they were treating her for strepf infection and give it like three weeks to completly go away ,one more question what is stephf infections and what are some sign and is her sweelingness in her glands one of them ,she also told me to put warm compression on it.

Strep is short for streptococcus infection. It is a common bacterial ailment, and is one of the common causes of sore throats. Evidently the infection is a mild one or she would have complained of a sore throat. Antibiotics are prescribed and the child isn't infectious within 24 hours of beginning the medication, but may take 1-2 weeks for the infection to be completely cured. The lymph node may take another week of two to return to normal. Warm compresses will help with the discomfort of the swelling.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

just one more brief question ,if it feel like it's going down and the pain is easing up and when o feel it ,it is soft and feel like jelly and i can only really feel it when she open her mouth , it kind of wiggles around ,it that a good sign for being on her med for 4 full days ,trying to just relax. thanks so much for the info and this will be my last question , and was the pain a sign of infection and do , if it was something awful would it cause pain and would it be in that area? under her chin

Hi there,

The pain is caused by swelling putting pressure on sensory nerve endings. The swelling could have been from an infection or just secondary to a strep infection that didn't cause pain any pain on its own, but the lymph node swelled in the normal course of doing its job and that caused the pain. I'm glad to hear it is all responding nicely (and quite predictably) to the antibiotics.

Thinking about "something awful" over one little swollen lymph node that hasn't even been there for a month is really borrowing trouble. Usually a swollen lymph node is just a swollen lymph node doing its job, and not a sign of cancer. In lymphoma the lymph nodes are swollen and don't go away because they are being overwhelmed. This isn't lymphoma, just a normal childhood illness.

Hope the two of you have a great week, and Happy Independence Day.Smile

All the best to you both,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi ,i'm back this time it's my husband and he seems to be having the same problem ,he has a lot of swelling around the ear area and he said it feels like a lot of pressure and he took off due to the pain and the pressure ,so i need to know is there anything he can do for this til tomerrow because the emergency room is just to expensive ,so he can go into a doctor office tommerow or see how much urgent care is ,or do he need to go right away ,he said its worst in the cold ,now hes trying to go to work ,should he see about this today or can he hold up a day ,i'm sure it's infection again ,what can he use nowand should he go to work and go to doctor tommerow

Hello again,

Sorry to hear about your husband. He can use either warm or cold compresses on his neck and ear - whichever feels better. Usually cold will help best to relieve swelling. Acetaminophen/Tylenol can help with the pain. If he is having sore throat, gargling with warm salt water can make him more comfortable. He should be at the provider's office when it opens in the morning to be checked out. It isn't an emergency, but being first there will allow him to be seen more quickly.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so is this an emergency suiation ,cause he has an appt for tuesday morning at 720 or he need to go now! in the a.m , he's taking ibuprofin

No, it's not an emergency situation unless he can't breathe or is intractable pain not managed by over-the-counter medications.

Best regards,

Schuyler

ξ