Onlinedoc
Onlinedoc, General Physician
Experience:  B.A.M.S with experience in Medicine,Ayurveda, Integrative, CAM
2598649

my child is 2 years and she has a large adenoid, she is going

my child is 2 years and she has a large adenoid, she is going to do an operation in December but the last 5 weeks she developed sleep apnea, she is not sleeping at all, so i tried her a lot of medications, the only medication that helps her a little bit is dimetapp Elixir, I know she is not suppose to take it by I'm giving her 2.5ml only before she sleeps, is that bad? do I need to be worry? Sorry for my language but the English is not my first language. Thank you

Is she having nasal congestion,sore throat now?

When have you seen her to doctor recently?

Duration of symptoms?

Since how long are you giving her Dimetapp Elixir?

Thanks dear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she never had sore throat , she is having Nazonex every time, I've seen her doctor 2 months ago and he done an X-ray and he said that her problem is her adenoid but she wasn't that bad at that time she used to snore very loud, but now with the cold weather is getting worth and she is not sleeping at all.

I don't give her dimetapp more than 3 days, once at night and then I leave her for a week

thank you

Thanks for providing more information.

I understand your concern about your child as she is not sleeping well and as you are a mother so this can be a worrisome for you.

As per your description,she may have Obstructive Sleep apnea due to Enlarged Adenoids.

And Adenoidectomy can be helpful in such cases.

However as she is scheduled for adenoids removal in December so in my opinion,you should consult her doctor again to get some steroid medications to reduce some inflammation of adenoids which relieve sleep apnea.

Usually Dimetapp Elixir should be given for short period of time.

And it's good to use it 2-3 days when her symptoms gets worse and discontinue it.

You can try a humidifier in your room.

Also elevate her head side of bed.

Give her warm liquids.

And make an appointment with her doctor and discuss her current symptoms for proper treatment.

Hope this helps.
Please rate me high if you are satisfied with our conversation.
In case you have further query press reply to expert button.
Bonus and positive feedback are appreciated.
Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

sorry I really need to clarify that.

Can I use dimetapp 3 days and stop it for 3 days and use it again until I go to the doctor's appointment? because the night that she don't take it she will have a very bad night.

and is 2.5 ml a lot for a 2 years old child ? or I can increase it a little bit?

You can use Dimetapp for 2-3 days more and consult your doctor in next few days.

You shouldn't increase the dosage.

You should give her 2.5 ml only when required.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.