Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Im hypermobile. After many years of my knee cap disslocating

I'm hypermobile. After many years of my
knee cap disslocating I've no articular
cartilage at all & so that front part of
the knee is painfull. The medial
ligament has stretched also.A partial knee
replacement has been suggested by an
Orthopedic surgeon. What would that
involve & how would that affect my
so mobile joint. Also I tend to create
alot of scar tissue after surgery.
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

What are the treatments already tried?
Did the orthopedic surgeon discuss the detail of rehabilitation program post surgery?

Thank you for using Just Answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I used to do Pilates to keep my muscles as strong as possible. now my muscles are wasted after extreme wt loss due to three lots of bowel surgury. & as I've mentioned, find it hard to build the quad muscles because of pain. I've had no other treatment.

Hello Anna,

A partial knee replacement is surgery to replace either the inside (medial) or outside (lateral) parts of the knee. It is called a partial replacement because only one component of the damaged knee is replaced. In your case, the pain is likely to be significantly reduced after the partial knee replacement. The wear and tear is slightly increased in a replaced joint due to hypermobility. Though a good rehabilitation program is likely to help in retarding the wear and tear of joint. The supervised program (stretching and strengthening) consists of;

1) passive stretching
2) active stretching exercises
3) exercises against weight
4) exercises against resistance
5) weight bearing exercises
6) exercises in pool (hydrotherapy).

These are likely to decrease your symptoms significantly and also reduce the wear and tear.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your information though as I'm 180 cm tall & weigh 60 kg I wont need to loose weight. It looks like a partial knee replacement is in order.

Once again, thank you.

You are very welcome, Anna.

Yes, the knee replacement is quite likely to resolve your issue.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun