Hello Thomas, I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.Since when are your symptoms?Was there any injury?Is the pain more on early morning or after you sit for a long duration?Thanks for using Just Answer.
Hello Thomas,The conditions to consider for your symptoms are;
1) Achilles tendinitis; heel tendon inflammation
2) Retrocalcaneal bursitis; bursa are fluid filled sac (pocket like structures) for smooth movement of the tendon, which can get inflamed and termed bursitis. The heel bone is called calcaneum and the bursa below it is inflamed thus the term retrocalcaneal.
3) Plantar fasciitis; heel has got a soft tissue underneath called as plantar fascia, inflammation of which is called plantar fasciitis.
4) Calcaneal periostitis; heel bone inflammation
5) Calcaneal spurs; wear and tear arthritis forms small bone growth.
MRI is the best to diagnose it. The specialists to consult would be;
b) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.
The treatment is almost same for all these conditions with the minor variations. Following would help you;
1) Moist heat or ice compresses; whatever suits you
2) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen
3) Local analgesic ointment /spray
4) Physical therapy
5) Deep electrotherapy like iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation etc.
6) Consideration of steroid shot
7) Shock wave therapy
8) Custom-fabricated inserts in shoe-wear
There is a new therapy called as autologous blood injection in which your own blood is injected at the pain site, is said to be quite effective. Shock wave therapy is available in sport medicine clinics or physical therapy clinics.
Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply." Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.