Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I RECENTLY HAD A CASE OF VERY BAD DIARREA AND TRIED TO REHYDRATE

Customer Question

I RECENTLY HAD A CASE OF VERY BAD DIARREA AND TRIED TO REHYDRATE MYSELF BY DRINKING LOTS OF WATER. THEN I WENT IN TO GET A CBC DONE AND MY HEMOGLOBIN HEMATOCRIT AND RBC WERE ALL LOW. COULD I HAVE OVERHYDRATED MYSELF?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to the site!

My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

What were the results please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My hemoglobin was 97 g/l, my hematocrit was .29 and my rbc was 3.53 tera/l.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My hemoglobin was 97 g/l, my hematocrit was .29 and my rbc was 3.53 tera/l. My results are normally low but not this low for some time.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me what it usually is and when the last time was you had it tested?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's usually quite low but they haven't been this low for a couple of months. I had an iron infusion a couple of months ago but it didn't help much.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Over hydrating cannot cause this, there must be another cause for the low hemoglobin. You may need an iron panel to determine what the cause is, as well as a CBC with differentials. If that does not yield any significant results, then you may require a bone marrow biopsy
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I have an unrelated question. Do you know if you can get a prescription for retin A or can you by it OTC.I have acne and a few wrinkles and I've heard a lot of good things about it. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You may obtain a cream called retinol cream OTC, it is less irritating to the skin and is about the same as Retin A cream, all retin a creams require a prescription
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks very much. I'm going to buy some right now!

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're quite welcome. For any other questions, you may request me in the subject title.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dr. Brims. My hgb went up to 112 2 weeks ago and last week it was 107. I'm getting a hemocue 201+ this week so I can test myself. Do you know anything about this machine and what do you think about the drop in my hgb. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
The hemocue is not as reliable as a lab test, but it is sufficient, the drop in hgb is very minor and nothing to worry about, I would re-test it in 3 months
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi. I got my hemocue meter and I went to the lab last week and they both read 103 so I think my machine is very accurate,

Today I tested myself and it was 97 and Im very worried that it will continue to drop. What do you think ?

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you need to worry, test it again in 7 days and lets see what it says at that time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Okay. I'll do that. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, please remember to rate my answers