jbmd
jbmd, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Board Certified physician in Internal Medicine - 30+ years experience. Extensive medical and traumatic neurology experience.
69164063

I am going for suprecur injections on Friday 28/6/13. Although

I am going for suprecur injections on Friday 28/6/13. Although i suspect that i may be pregnant, i have consulted the reproductive nurse who has advised me that i should not worry as if i do start on suprecur injections and do not get a period untill my baseline ultra sound they will test me for pregnancy. I am a bit septical as i have already paid for the treatment. can you please advise me.

jbmd :

I'm sorry--I wouldn't advise you to get any hormone injection if you might be pregnant. It's easy enough to pretty much find out if you are--the OTC tests are very accurate. I even think the office should do tests before hormonal injections as routine procedure.

jbmd :

Even the drug information for Suprecur says do not use if pregnant.

jbmd :

We cannot treat or examine you but can give advice here and my advice here is to go and purchase a pregnancy test and see if it is positive. If negative at home, repeat at the doctor's before the shot.

jbmd :

Any questions?

Customer:

Thank you for the answer. Once again i have contacted the clinic who have adviced me the same as before. I have not taken the test as i have been at work all day and tomorrow i go for my first injection. i will however ask them to to the test for me first.

Customer:

What are the side effects of the Suprecur injections and can you get pregnant while taking them,

jbmd :

Side effects can be dizziness, hot flashes, increased sweating, dry vagina and decreased sex drive, breast pain and tenderness, headache, anxiety, sleep problems, headache, dry eyes and brittle nails.

jbmd :

You can get pregnant on it and if pregnant need to stop it as it can harm the fetus.

Customer:

Thank you for the information unfortunatley i am not pregnant as i took the test before i went to the clinic, what i would like to ask is what are the percentage rate of me getting pregnant while on suprecur injections.

jbmd :

Sorry--I misunderstood because of your initial question contained the comment that you suspected you were pregnant. Success rate of any treatment for infertility is very variable by clinic and by problem leading to the infertility. In many clinics the success rate with Suprecur/IVF treatment is about 50 % resulting in pregnancy--if conditions are right and there is no sperm problem.

jbmd :

If I were you, I'd ask the success rate at the clinic you are attending and then compare it to other available clinics locally. Success in clinics can vary very widely. Timing and technique are skills that are sometimes learned and sometimes a measure of the care taken.

jbmd :

Successful clinics advertise their success rate. It's like everything else in this world--competitive.