Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

for Dr Arun Phophalis recently, I asked you a question about

for Dr Arun Phophalis recently, I asked you a question about a lipoma, if there was an alternative other than surgery for removal and your opinion about liposuction. You replied, which generated another question: In terms of risk of affecting the nerves surrounding the lipoma, which procedure has more risks for affecting the nerves, liposuction or surgery?
Greetings.

Both liposuction and surgery have a very low rate of affecting the surrounding nerves and even if a nerve is affected, only slight numbness is the consequence. So nothing significant is expected after both the procedures. But surgery is choice of procedure for the lipoma. Liposuction would have chance of recurrence.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I like to play the guitar, would any numbness resulting from surgery or liposuction affect my playing a guitar or using my hand to paint watercolors or to cook professionally?

No, if at all there is a numbness (which is rare), that is transient and very minor. Thus would not interfere in any of your work.

Dr. Arun