Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

I was running and stepped on a mesquite thorn. Went right

I was running and stepped on a mesquite thorn. Went right through my shoe but stuck only about 1/4 into the ball of my foot. 5 hours later it was swollen and sore. Today is the 5th day and I am still sore, swollen, and I have low energy. It does not appear infected. I am taking Tylenol twice a day (down from 4 times a day). How long will the pain last?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

Honestly at this point it should be examined clinically by a doctor and you should have basic tests done like a CBC which will tell whether there is active infection going on or not.

I say this because sometimes the abscess (puss formation) is deep seated and there is no discharge from the puncture site.

Anyhow, if there is no infection, this should have settled down or at least started to improve by now.

Instead of Tylenol, you should take Motrin or Aleve (which are not only pain medications but also anti-inflammatory drugs) which will reduce the swelling as well.

Application of cold packs will also help.

And watchfully monitor this over next few days, because if this does not improve, persist, or gets worse, see your doctor for further evaluation (i would have examined this today, right now).

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.