Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

Im 30 years old, in generally good health - Ive recently

I'm 30 years old, in generally good health - I've recently lost about 35 pounds, started exercising regularly, eating all natural/no sugar.

This morning when I got of my commuter train I had pins and needles on the outside of my right ankle, just above and behind my ankle bone. I haven't worked out in 4 days, but I did a fair amount of walking over the weekend. There is no pain, just the persistent pins and needles (it's been about 2 hours now).

I spent a long time driving over the weekend - 6.5 hours on Friday night and about 6 on Sunday.

Should I be worried about this? Or wait it out to see if it improves/gets worse?
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.
I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort. I will do whatever I can to help answer your questions.First I need a little more information-

Do you have any other known medical illness?
Is there any pain in right ankle?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks!

I don't have any other illnesses, and there is no pain - just the pins and needles. I feel it when I move my foot around or tap my heal on the floor.

I'll also add that I just had an annual physical yesterday and I got a tetnus shot, in case that's in any way relevant.

Dear Erin,
Thank you for providing quick additional info.

The pins & needle sensation you are having can have all kinds of different causes, as it is a symptom of many different diseases.

It usually arises from damage or disease of nerves.Its most common causes are:nerve compression syndromes, pressure on the spinal nerves such as that due to a herniated disk,high blood pressure, diabetes, stroke,transient ischemic attack.

The most probable cause seems to be that due to long driving,this may has caused pressure on the nerves resulting in pins & needle sensation or numbness.

This is not an emergency.So I advice you to wait & watch for few days.If still it persists then you need to consult your neurologist for the tests & examination & hence the treatment accordingly.

Hope this helped.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Thank you XXXXX
Dr. Robert