Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained

My husband had a PET for an irregular lung nodule last Wed.

My husband had a PET for an irregular lung nodule last Wed. afternoon. Today he called to see why he did not have the results and was told the nurse would call him back today before 5. They did not call and I am wondering if that is a good sign (as in it was not urgent) or bad (as in they had to talk to the doctor first)...or neither. We are just worried and wondering if the delay might indicate a negative or positive. Just an opinion, of course.
Welcome to the chat.
I completely understand your concerns.
In general, they call back quickly if there is something very obviously concerning.
If there was a mass consistent with cancer etc.
In general, a delay in call may mean that they are verifying a negative result with another radiologist.
But, on the other hand, it is possible that the results were lost, or they need to verify a positive result with the radiologist.

That being said, a delay in 1 week, for whatever reason, will have MINIMAL impact on overall treatment.
But usually they call you back right away with positive results (it is an expedited call)

Hope this helps

Please leave positive feedback if this helped :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! Just to mean if positive they often call right away, as in a day or two. Or would 4 days be considered "right away". I know I am obsessing...LOL.

within 1-2 business days.