Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am having pain on the inside of my thighs. Only when pushed

I am having pain on the inside of my thighs. Only when pushed on. It doesnt hurt to walk, stretch, all normal things i do. I do get twinges every so often but im wondering whats going on and if i should be worried
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when is the tenderness?
Can you recollect an event / an unaccustomed activity which precipitated the symptom?
Do you mean flicker of contraction of muscle of the inner thigh with the twinges?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the tenderness has been about a week. The pain reminds me of bruising i would get from hipbones from a person i had intercourse with. I havent had intercourse in two weeks. Twinges sometimes if im laying on my stomach with my legs stretched out or sometimes if i turn or lean one way itll twinge. It doesnt happen a lot and i only know theres pain because ive pushed on the area on both thighs.

Hello Christina,

This is very likelihood to be myofascial trigger point. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. Myofascial trigger point is a hyperirritable spot, usually within a taut band of skeletal muscle or in the muscle fascia which is painful on compression. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant

2) physical therapy

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Even though it is On the insides of both of my thighs? Even though its a good section of the inside of my thighs. The middle section where ever that muscle is in the center.

Hello Christina,

Myofascial trigger points can develop on both the sides of the thigh and over stretching (due to sex or other reason like exercises, lifting weight etc) can be the precipitating cause. When predisposing factors combine with a triggering stress event, activation of a trigger point occurs. The pain may occur long after the event thus one may not remember it. The other possibilities of the diagnosis are;

1) pinched nerves in the back causing referred pain.
2) tendonitis
3) bursitis.

The specialists to consult are;

1) orthopedics
2) MD in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Will it heal on its own?

Many times it heals spontaneously with the time in 2-3 weeks. Gradually it should wane off. If ti does not in a around 10 days or increases in the intensity; it would be the time to seek an help.

Following causes also would be considered for this pain;

1) Gluteus medius bursitis
2) Gluteus medius partial tear
3) Iliopsoas bursitis
4) ITB tendinitis

MRI and ultrasonography scans are able to differentiate the conditions. Though a clinical diagnosis by a physical examination by an orthopedic doctor also would be usually conclusive.

Treatment entails (which is almost same for all these conditions which we had discussed, as you can see);

1) A specific and goal-directed Physical Therapy program; supervised stretching exercises have significant role

2) Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) can be considered in resistant cases.

3) Iontophoresis and phonophoresis

4) Short wave diathermy

5) Anti-inflammatory analgesics

6) Local analgesic cream / ointment / patch / spray