Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

My husband had terrible abdominal pain earlier today. He vomited

My husband had terrible abdominal pain earlier today. He vomited and was sweating. Curled in the fetal position, the pain subsided a little. He went back to work, felt sick. Came home sweating but pain not as bad. He said it felt like when he had gallstones and had his gallbladder removed 14 years ago.

This evening I persuaded him to go to the ER. I was concerned about his appendix. ER doctor felt like it was possibly kidney stones. WBC was normal...urine was normal. He ordered a CT scan to check for kidney stones. CT scan didn't show stones but did show an enlarged appendix.

But the doctor didn't seem overly concerned. Said that if the pain gets severe again, come back. Is that normal to have an enlarged appendix? Doesn't that sound a little too coincidental?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Where did the pain start exactly?

Did it spread to any other area from its original location?

Is there any tender spot?

Did doctor prescribe any medicine?

How is the pain now?

How is stool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pain started more on the left side and moved to the right side. Initially the pain was so bad he felt like he was going to panic. He felt like he just needed to have a bowel movement, like he was blocked. However, he had already had two movements earlier in the day. He had another one after the pain started and it was very thick. It was hard to pass gas. Stomach isn't really tender, but just a dull pain under where ribs are on the right. Pain has gone from a 10 earlier to a 3 now.

Doctor didn't prescribe anything for pain. But my husband wasn't in a lot of pain then.

Is an enlarged appendix ever normal? Or could it be the beginning of appendicitis?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Jennifer, for the information .

Enlarged appendix may be found in otherwise healthy individuals.

The finding needs to be correlated with the clinical signs & symptoms.

In appendicitis, there can be signs of inflammation, fluid around appendix on CT.

It is likely that there was no such findings.

His symptoms are also not typical for appendicitis.

Appendicitis pain start around the belly button usually & then shifts to right lower part of abdomen.

There can be tender spot there.

But his pain was on left side & right upper part of abdomen.

From his symptoms, the pain was colicky in nature which is observed in urinary or intestinal colic.

As urinary findings were normal, intestinal colic is possible.

He needs to take rest & watch as the ER doctor suggested.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
How is his pain now?
In case you need further help, please let me know.

Dr Saha