Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Talked to the dr at mayo. He said. Addendum: 6/24/13 16:30 EGD

Customer Question

Talked to the dr at mayo. He said. Addendum: 6/24/13 16:30
EGD showed gastric ulcer with clean base and persistent gastritis and duodenitis. Biospy showed chronic inflammation. Results discussed with patient. Increase cholestyramine and told to stop PPIs and H2B to check of h. pylori and gastrin levels. Test to be done in 07/10/13.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--so did he actually talk to you about that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He didnt really say much. Just thatci had an ulcer still, lots of infammation and that he wanted to do more tests that requires me to stop the nexium and ranitidine. But im suppose to tAke the ranitidne for 3 more days before i stop it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--at least now you have something to show the nay-sayers that are saying it's all in your head.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can the gi dr say i have chronic inflammation when the path repoet says i have negligible inflammation? Why do i have to stop the meds?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He saw the inflammation and the path report really didn't say--I don't think--negligible inflammation. And the ulcer was there. You have to stop the meds to make the gastrin levels valid and to see if H pylori has only been suppressed by the meds
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did say that. How can i havr h pylori if the biopsies showed no h pylori
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why are we arguing here? What's at the bottom of this? Is it just that you don't know just yet exactly what's going on or is it that you just want to be negative about the whole thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not just being negative
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So what's the point of your questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im just not sure of this whole thing
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont know that it sounds like a good idea to stop my meds
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
They obviously aren't helping with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the ranitidine helps the reflux at nighttime
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not really--it doesn't do anything for the reflux itself but you still haven't gotten to the bottom here--if it will help with your diagnosis, so what if you have to stop the meds for a short time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if things get worse when i stop them? Thatd what im afraid of
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Things won't get worse but let's stop with the what if's--I've told you time and again that gets us nowhere and if a Mayo doc wants you to stop them, you need to stop them
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You kinda make me feel like you dont care if something scares/worries me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You always seem to put thoughts and feelings in my mind that aren't there--just because I'm being stern with you doesn't mean I don't care but I'm not going to support your fears and worries.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You make me feel like my worries and fears arent justified
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You justify them but I just told you it won't hurt to stop the meds for a short time and the Mayo doc knows no harm will be done so if you want to go with your own thoughts and not trust the two of us, that's up to you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive been on them for over a year
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And, again, they aren't helping obviously but stop with the yes/buts here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry. My anxiety about this is just really high
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's OK but just stop telling yourself these worst-case scenarios
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont really think you know how bad my anxiety has been lately
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's something where your therapist needs to be in the picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He doesnt understand how bad it is
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, I've given you tips before on how to deal with it and I don't have any more to add. You seem to be functioning despite the anxiety
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You pretty much are saying theres nothing you can do
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not in a forum like this, no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would you tell me if i were your patient
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What I've told you before and we can't get into chatting again. In short, work on your self esteem modules and your gratitude list, work with others when you're worried about yourself, stay very active and don't sit still for long, and--unfortunately this part doesn't seem to apply to you--lean on your Higher Power. Also--meditate on and think about good things happening to and for you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I feel like i have screwed up my life so much
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'm not going there--we've been over that many times. I know you don't like the term but you really fall into the feeling sorry for yourself too easily
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not feeling sorry for myself. Im feeling overwhelmed and depressed
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
"I feel like I have screwed up my life so much" is a perfect feeling sorry for oneself comment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its not feeling sorry for myself. I feel out of control.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I've got nothing more to say--I told you what I'd tell my patients and that's all I can say. So unless you've got something specific to discuss briefly, we might as well close the page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why do i need to takre the ranitidine forb3 days before stopping it
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He just wants to stop the two meds one at a time. Enough for now--OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im sorry if i irritated you last night
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Wasn't irritate--just had to be stern with you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My vitamin d is low again
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Could be an absorption problem with you GI thing. Could potentially be because of the Nexium and Zantac
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its 18 normal is 30. Im taking 2 calcium with vit d a day
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I gave you my answer about that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absorption problem
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not being dumb. What do you mean
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If you're taking a supplemental vitamin D and the level isn't rising then most likely your gut isn't absorbing the vitamin D and PPI's and H2 blockers can interfere with vitamin absorption
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did rise from13 to 18 in 4 momths
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then why did you ask me about it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Necaue its still not up to normal
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, it still may be a partial absorption problem and not all of the supplement is getting absorbed. At least the rise should continue. Hey--rules again--long page, several answers--time for a rating
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why will you not answer my new question
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Because like I said before you need to rate a page from time to time. You can't just use the site for free for very long. That's the rules and unless you do rate from time to time they'll ban you from the site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought i did