Dr. David, Doctor
Experience:  Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
19863579

Im 44 yr old male. I am over weight by 45 lbs. I I just

I'm 44 yr old male. I am over weight by 45 lbs. I I just started working out with only kettle bells 4 times a week and doing the stairmaster for cardio for 20 minutes every other day.
I am on 50mg of metoprolol 2 x a day for high blood pressure. Been on it for 5 yrs now. Family has history of heart disease and diabetes. Two aunts passed away from brain aneurysm.
For the past few days I've notice when I take a deep breath or when I push like I'm having a bowel movement my left arm pulses and feels like it pulls slightly. It's right were the elbow and arm bend on the inner side. Like right now I took a deep breath and I feel it. I have no pain in my arm or anywhere else. Should I be concern? Only health issue I have is high blood pressure which is controlled by medicine and occasional SVT.
Any advise will be appreciated.
Nick.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

Dr. David :

Hello, Nick. I'm sorry that you have been waiting so long for a response to your question. I can see that you are concerned that the sensations you are experiencing in your left elbow are somehow related to your heart and circulatory system. From your description, it sounds like this is not the case. If the sensations only appear when you take a deep breath or when straining during a bowel movement, that suggests that the symptoms are related to the spine and nervous system. When you take a deep breath or have a BM, this increases the pressure within the spinal cord and it can put pressure on the nerve roots in the neck which lead down to the arm causing the sensations you are having. Lifting kettle bells can can put stress on the vertebrae and musculature of the neck and cause one or more of the vertebrae to change its alignment putting pressure on a nerve root. Are you doing any stretching exercises before or after working out? If the sensations in your left elbow were caused by a heart problem, then you would expect that they would get worse during exercise and better during rest. Are you having any problems breathing during exercise? Do the elbow sensations get any worse when you are on the stairmaster? Dr. David

Dr. David, Doctor
Experience: Ten years practicing as a licensed family physician.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

HELLO DR,

NO, I HAVE NO PAIN OR TROUBLE BREATHING WHEN WORKING OUT OR DOING CARDIO. AS I GET OLDER I GET CONCERN WITH THINGS FEEL THAT DONT SEEM RIGHT.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.

Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, Nick.

It is common to have more aches, pains, and unusual sensations as we get older.

If you are fine otherwise besides the sensations in your elbow, then it is probably not a big problem.

If you haven't been in to see a doctor lately for a yearly physical exam, then it would be a good idea to go for a visit and let your doctor know that you are starting a new exercise program.