A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

I was recently bit/hit by a bat and received a couple breaks

I was recently bit/hit by a bat and received a couple breaks in the skin on the back of my head. I received a tetnus shot in my left arm, four rabies shots in the butt and another rabies vaccine in my right arm. I had another vaccine shot a couple days ago. I noticed three days ago that I have a swollen lymph node above my left collar bone, and have no fever. Is the lymph node issue from the shots i have received??? it has me freaked out.

Welcome, and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Lymph nodes drain the areas around them, so a neck/collar bone lymph node will respond to inflammation in the head and neck area, but not the rump or arm. You likely have the swollen lymph node because the node is doing its job of clearing out any inflammation left from the injury caused by the bat.

The lymph node should go back to normal in a period of 2-3 weeks.

Try not to worry.

All the best,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can the swollen node be a sign that I have rabies?

Goodness no, that isn't a sign of rabies at all. It's just a swollen lymph node.

Symptoms of having rabies don't appear until very late in the disease. The vaccines you have had will prevent you from ever developing rabies.

Please try not to worry about this. The injections you've had will keep you safe.

All the best,