Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Doc, might have an eye infection...

Customer Question

Doc, might have an eye infection...
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How so?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it is red and feels strained...when I see something bright it automatically closes...I took my contact out and am thinking about getting an artificial tear solution as I am on a business trip

What do you recommend?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Any tearing or actual crusty stuff on the lids?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. This might be an infection, but most likely it's viral and those usually resolve in a few days without any specific treatment other than some natural tears eye drops over the counter. If there's really no pain, I don't think it's a corneal abrasion. I'd normally suggest you just do without your contacts for a few days and use the drops, but since I can't examine you, I'm obligated to tell you to have a doctor take a look at it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any connection to my worst fear you think?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not at all--you can put that one to rest
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc, wanted to follow up here...ALso just rated our last exchange as it looks like I forgot.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--sorry I was off when you came back on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No worries. I saw a doc while i was traveling. apparently i have a corneal ulcer which was a result in overuse/sleeping in contacts...they put me on antibacterial prescription drops.

It's a lot better now. Need to take the drops another week and i can wear a contact again in the left eye in about 10 days...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--good thing about the cornea is it heals completely without any scarring
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yea. There is something else I wanted tot alk to you about.

I don't know if this is in my head or not but I have veen working remotely the past few days and I feel kind of weird when I wake up but after I take a shower and eat feel normal. By weird I mean kind of queezy or semi-nautious I guess. I haven't had any drinks or anything the night before either.

On a second note the area around my crotch feels a little itchy lately. I am wondering if the tinea/lsc might be coming back. I looked at the skin though and it looks normal. Might it be from the pubic hair down there which is now very long as I havent shaved or trimmed it in 4 months?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, it's a little difficult with you and your symptom descriptions sometimes but a little itching down there is probably nothing to worry about without any actual rash. Can't say much about the queasiness but if it resolves that quickly and stays away for the rest of the day, nothing much to that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just felt a little off when I wake up but it disappears within an hour or two after i wake up...been like that for 3, 4 days...i just want to make sure it's not related to my worst fear...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Can we just cut to the chase here? Why won't you just get screened and find out you're negative and just get over it? Don't mean to sound patronizing but it would completely put your mind at rest.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i am scarred, even horrified to do that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So basically you'd rather die the death of a thousand cuts--just continue to be afraid that any symptom or minor medical problem that comes up might be from you're worst fear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know it's not ideal...maybe one day I will have the courage to do it...I just don't have that courage right now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Fair enough
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc,

I noticed some discomfort in the buttox area while sleeping the last two nights. Upon further examination this morning I noticed there is a pimple there...is this anything to worry about?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell me what you mean by a pimple and are you saying it's sore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A pimp meaning a bump that feels a bit tender/sore on my buttox. It also had a whitehead on top of it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Then it's likely just a small case of folliculitis--hair shaft infection and absolutely nothing to do with your worst fear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hmm...I read this article though on webmd...one of the things it says causes folliculitis is my worst fear?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/tc/folliculitis-topic-overview

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I really don't know why you do that--go and research something like this--it's almost like you want to find bad news. I seriously disagree with that article's mentioning HIV. Diabetics get infection not so much because their immune system is compromised as the fact that higher blood sugars help bacteria grow. The infections of HIV are called opportunistic and they only occur when the white count drops to very low levels. The fact that you can generate white cells to form a pimple with pus in it means that your immune system is just fine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it. But I then have to ask why would Webmd publish something like that if as you say it's not really true? Webmd on the surface seems like a somewhat good site/portal for medical info that one would want to just quickly google to learn more about.

Out of curiousity, how do you the pimple has pus?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If it's like a whitehead the white part is pus. WebMD is fine but in this case the article only passingly mentioned HIV without going into detail as to why it mentioned it. Let's put it this way--folliculitis is simply not a sign of HIV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok I trust you so will believe it. My scalp has also been itchy lately...esp last few mos, i dont have dandruff though?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Itchy all the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

at certain point during day...it's weird sometimes not itchy at all and then sometimes out of blue vvery itchy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I'd say it's probably a bit of your anxiety problem. Nothing comes and goes like that except anxiety. If it were constant it could be a dermatitis but as I say nothing comes and goes like that other than anxiety.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Doc,

You there?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I saw the dermatologist a couple hours back...he looked at my buttox area and my scalp...said buttox looks normal...but i told him my whiteheads must have popped because he couldnt see anything there and told me the skin looks fine.

He then had this super bright light on ceiling which he turned on and examined my scalp for the itchiness. he said scalp was very healthy but then when i pointed out a few areas to check he noticed a couple small bumps/scab. He said this was nothing to worry about and if it was foliculitis it would be painful, not itchy. But then when i asked him if its normal to get bumps/pimples/scabs etc on fore head he said not really and mentioned can sometimes just be cause by bacteria in fingers and such or a problem with something inside your body that is portraying itself on skin/scalp (at which point my worst fears came up)

What do you make of this?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And I suppose you didn't ask him exactly what he meant by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

By you mean something wrong inside body? I did not as I got really nervous...and i know you think that webmd article shouldnt have mentioned the worst fear as a cause but i thought back to that

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You put me in a real bind here since I can't possibly read his mind. You need to call him and ask him exactly what he meant. And he must at least have said what he thought the bumps were.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

He described them dry areas of skin, pimple like.

What is your gut take aside from what i told you he said

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My gut feeling is that these were just simple small areas of dermatitis or eczema but certainly nothing to do with your worst fear.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok seems like you are pretty confident in the lack of correlation to the worst fear?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely I am but since you come back time and again every time something "pops" up (don't take that the wrong way, I love helping you out anytime), I think you're always going to have that fear and nothing I or any other doctor tells you will get rid of that so you really need to bite the bullet and get the screening and get over this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know I know, believe me...I hope i can muster up the courage to get it done this year. Just at this present moment I dont.

But i do it seems have real problems right? Between the recent scalp/buttox issues, to the stomach issues to the tinea issues...but you have always steadfastly believed none of this is related to the worst fear. I completely trust your opinion but I am very paranoid and just want to be reassured. Has any of the symptoms I have described to you in past 4 months given you even the slightest doubt about my worst fear?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Nothing you've ever told me would ever make me think of your worst fear--even if you had just asked me about the problems and had never brought up the HIV subject. Nothing you've had so far is anything I would consider ominous or bad or worrisome or concerning--you just have had a few minor medical problems that happened to crop up over a few months.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it. Thx.One last question, if you use a condom, what are odds of catching something like worst fear? Again havent had intercourse in 3+ years

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
The chances with a condom are basically zero assuming the condom stays in place and is intact
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc,

I started to eat a little bit lighter and concume a little less calories since last sunday and excercised a few times and have been feeling a little nauseated through certain parts of the day at times over the past 4, 5 days...what's up with that?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What exactly do you mean by nauseated and how long does it last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

semi-dizzy, nausea type feeling...it gets better after i eat something or have drinks etc...it seems to have started when i have started eating salads for lunch and drinking diet drinks and cutting out coffee the past week

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, part of it could be from the lack of coffee and not getting your usual caffeine fix. Doesn't really sound like anything serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok...to be safe should i get a blood test/cbc?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No--way too overboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok...so you dont think anything of relation to my worst fear?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not at all--trust me--you might try having just a modest amount of caffeine to see if that helps
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Feeling nauseated today too Doc and somewhat dizzy...am starting to get worried

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--again, what exactly do you mean by dizzy and how long does that last?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Like I am worried I might faint/lightheaded. Coming in spurts. I just feel off.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Here you go again with not being too specific. I define dizzy as spinning around like you just hopped off the merry-go-round. And "off" really doesn't tell me much at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Doc I dont know how better to describe. I will I guess say lightheaded as the best adjective I can use.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And does that hit you when, say, you're just sitting still and not walking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yea sitting and walking

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And have you ever had this happen before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not like this

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--first off, we can dispense again with your worst fear. Anxiety could be coming into play here, but check your blood pressure and pulse. The possibilities here with the way you describe it could be low blood pressure, maybe from being a little dehydrated, anemia (doubtful but possible), low thyroid (also doubtful but possible), or maybe a stomach virus (NOT HIV). If your blood pressure is down, drink lots of fluids and see if it comes back up. Otherwise, have your doctor check you out, but I don't think this is anything too serious
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should I go to the ER or wait to get an appointment from my PCP?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--I had to be off--no need for an ER visit at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are right...I am worried I might die in my sleep or something

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You really need to get some therapy--no you aren't about to die, in your sleep or otherwise
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know I feel weak and dizzy and nauseated today too...don't know what's going on

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

you there doc?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Here now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if all this is is the onset of my worst fear??

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It's not but are you saying that all of a sudden you feel really lousy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yea

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Why what?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

why do you ask i meant

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Just that if it's gotten suddenly worse it could be the flu coming on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc I still don't feel that great. I don't have a fever or anything but feel nausea and unusually hungry in mornings sometimes.Also feel lightheaded at period throughout day. The interesting thing is that if I have alcohol in evening i feel back to normal.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
How much alcohol and what kind?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

like 3 to 5 drinks...usually wine, maybe some beer

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying that's what you've had every night and why so much?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My works involves a lot of dinner/drinks with clients
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That's still a lot--you could just nurse one drink. So in the last week how often have you drunk that much
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe 3,4 nights
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And on the nights you don't drink you have these symptoms the next day?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Could it in any way be the worst fear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No but you're never going to let that fear go until you get tested. It sounds as though what's going on is basic alcohol withdrawal on the days you haven't drunk the night before. I suggest you cut back to just one drink on the nights you do drink.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm...I have never had alcohol withdrawal in my life so I have some doubts about that.

Just so I can educate myself , why don't you think it's the worst fear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well you might have doubts about it but isn't it a simple case of it doesn't happen when you drink and it doesn't when you don't? And since you think any symptom whatsoever could be your worst fear, what can I possibly say that will take away that fear with it comes to any symptom?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess you could tell me what typical symptoms are of worst fear and tell me based on all the ailments and health reports I have shared with you if it is possible that this is all due to the worst fear?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You've already--I'm more than certain about this--already Googled those symptoms so why do you need me to repeat them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because you are a real doc and I don't trust google.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--you realize that there can be a flu-like syndrome withing a few weeks of getting infection, maybe with a rash, and then that resolves and nothing may occur for years--you know that part, don't you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't, please tell me more...I am really worried what's wrong with me
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But remind me here--when was your last episode of unprotected sex and stop with the going ballistic with this, since I know you don't have HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unprotected vaginal sex never. Unprotected oral 3 yeas ago
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--what we're talking about here is something that sometimes will show up within two to six weeks after getting infectedand then go away, not three years later. So basically the flu-like symptoms you may get now have nothing to do with HIV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i see and would i have other symtpoms if i had the worst fear?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--stay with me for a minute here. Do you also understand that the symptoms that may show up later are from a diminished immune system and in particular a very low white cell count which you don't have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok but i haven't checked my white cell count in a few months now. WHat if they dropped since the last time i checked which was 2 months or so ago

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It can't possibly drop that much in such a short time. And you're going to be fighting with worthless what ifs until you get tested
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so u think it would have dropped in the 3 years since i last had sex well before this year if i had the worst fear?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It can sometimes take ten years or more for the white count to drop after one is infected. But it would have to drop to very low levels for symptoms to occur and as I just told you no way it could have done that in just a few months. You see, the point here is you didn't have much of a chance with that one episode to have gotten HIV but there is now way any of us who have ever had unprotected sex to be certain we're HIV negative without getting the test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have only had unprotected oral sex though and from what i have read, there have never been any reported cases of it transmitting that way?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
There are no scientific reports that completely rule out the possibility for oral sex to transmit HIV but most experts would say that it cannot be transmitted that way.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So you think I might just have a flu or something?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Of course but every time you do from now on I'm sure you're going to think it's all about your worst fear. Can't you see that you're going to be nagged with that fear until you get tested? I don't think there's any chance you can ever get it totally out of your mind until you do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well Doc I went to the ER last night...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No fever, pulse was fine as was heart rate (they did an ekg), blood sugar was a tad elevvated (120) but i had just ate an hour before. CBC looked good, wbc was 9.3, rbc was 4.84. Only things that were a bit elevated were alt and ast but those were both down from last time. ALT was 83, AST was 53...

They couldnt put their finger on what was causing me the nausea and lightheadedness but prescribed me some zofran

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So basically nothing serious? Quite frankly, you default to the ER much too quickly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i knw i know. I actually felt good almost the whole day yesterday until about 7pm and through dinner.

I also feel sort of lousy this morning

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You really need some therapy--and I'm very serious about that. I don't think this is just from your greatest fear thing. We all have those symptoms from time to time, but that doesn't mean that something is so serious that we need to get it checked out in the ER
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok but I do feel lousy this morning. How will therapy cure that or my recent nausea and lightheadedness which are real

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It will stop you from assuming any symptoms may be something so serious you need the ER for one. I told you already you may just have a stomach virus but again, sometimes what you call nausea and lightheadedness may not be what I take as the meaning of those terms. For example, from the ER evaluation, you don't have anything that would actually cause light headedness which I equate to a feeling of about to faint. And with your anxiety problem that can easily cause these symptoms
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, what is your recommendation on how to get better from my recent symptoms?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What exactly--and be very specific here--is what you call nausea? And by the way, you neatly diverted the discussion away from the therapy suggestion
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the feeling where u feel like u might want to vomit but actually don't...as for lightheadedness feeling when i walk where i feel like i am walking on water

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but since I have never been able to walk on water I have no idea what that means. As for the nausea, the Zofran can help but so can PeptoBismol and some food
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I need you as my real doctor out here!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what you meant by that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That means I wish you practiced where I live so you could be my pcp, it was a compliment

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Thanks--and I would be saying the same thing to you if you were in my office and we were face to face--I don't know what feeling like you're walking on water means
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know if this is related to my nausea and lightheadedness but the last 3 mornings my stomach hasnt felt that great when I woke up but got better as the day went on...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but you really have to try to be more specific and describe something like this as exactly as you can--hasn't felt that great doesn't tell me much at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok i guess i woke up with a stomach ache and also felt really, really hungry

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Stomach ache is still vague and feeling hungry is nothing to worry about