Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

If you get a PET scan for a suspicious nodule will you get

If you get a PET scan for a suspicious nodule will you get the results back faster if the news is urgent...or is the timing all the same regardless. I've waited 3 days now and was curious.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

The usual time taken for the report of PET scan to be issued is as high as 7 days, since the radiologist has to carefully interpret the findings and give an opinion cautiously and in detail. However this duration varies from one centre to another. The average time taken is 3 days so i am hopeful you will get the results soon.

If the radiologist finds some abnormal areas it will naturally take some more time to interpret and write down the notes/results, so presence of any abnormal findings will not fasten the reporting process in general.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That makes sense...thank you. About how often is a suspicious lung nodule actually cancerous?

Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 1 year ago.

Most of the times, this is non-cancerous.

The exact data is not available but since lung cancer is not as common as other conditions of lung such as infections, therefore due to obvious reasosn the chances of cancer are less. The main purpose is to make sure that a serious possibility like a cancer is not missed.

Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience: M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties