Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

For several years or more I have had abdominal discomfort on

For several years or more I have had abdominal discomfort on my right side. I have had CT scans, ultrasounds, etc. Only thing revealed was echogenic liver in August of 2012. All of my bloodwork (including liver enzymes)has always been normal. Last ultrasound was August 2012;CT scan 2010; and last bloodwork was this month.
I am beginning to think that my discomfort might be attributed to one of three things: scars or damaged nerve tissue from emergency hysterectomy 11 years ago, or maybe related to my chronic lower/middle back issues (bulging discs, disc degeneration) or excess abdominal fat.
My massage therapist has some theory about myofascial pain. My PCP has suggested abdominal wall damage. At this point I am at my wits end. I don't think it's serious bc it doesn't actually hurt, it's just a nagging discomfort, but it is just frustrating not knowing what the deal is.
I have no other accompanying symptoms. Medical history is I have GERD for which I take omeprazole daily; GAD for which I take 20 mg of Prozac; and high cholesterol for which I take 40 mg of Pravastatin. My liver enzymes are checked frequently since I began the statin.
I have lost 41 pounds and aim to lose 30 more. I have drastically changed my diet and adopted a healthier lifestyle. At this point any additional suggestions? I see a massage therapist every two weeks and am looking into acupuncture as well. It has not worsened over time, but to be honest I am just tired of it.

Have you undergone MRI of spine so far?

What is your current weight and height?

Bloating and flatulence?

History of alcohol and smoking intake?

Chest pain?

Frequent urination?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have you undergone MRI of spine so far? Last MRI was about 8 years ago (of spine)

What is your current weight and height? 191 and 5'4"

Bloating and flatulence? No

Constipation? No

History of alcohol and smoking intake? No

Cough? No

Chest pain? No

Vomiting? No

Frequent urination? No

Thanks for providing more information.

Firstly i appreciate your efforts to lose weight.

And as you describe most likely your symptoms are suggestive of nerve compression in spine which can cause such discomfort in right side of abdomen.

As per your investigations,chances of any abdominal issues are less.

Myofascial trigger point can be a possible cause.

In my opinion, i suggest to consult an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo repeat MRI of spine.

You may also require physical therapy which can be effective.

You shouldn't lose hope and keep positive attitude.

Sometimes pyschological issues like anxiety,stress can aggravate your physical pain.

You should also discuss it with your pyschiatrist about your chronic pain.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.