Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

hello. Im an 80-year-old male and am having a little numbness

hello. I'm an 80-year-old male and am having a little numbness and pressure on the left side of my face and behind my ear going down my neck. It's been coming and going for the last two months and has only been bothersome in the last few days. I had some work done on my teeth in that area and my teeth hurt for a few days after. My teeth aren't hurting now. My blood pressure has been running 137/70 on my left arm and 140/70 on my right arm. My heart rate is regular. My blood pressure usually runs low but for the last two or three days I've had to take an extra Hyzaar. My pressure was running 180/90 but came down with an extra Hyzaar. I have no dizziness or any other symptoms.

My question is, should I see my regular doctor, an ENT or my dentist? My diagnoses are hypertension and acid reflux. I'm still suffering from PHN from shingles x three years.
Thank you
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--you mention your face and then behind your ear and down your neck. Can I ask exactly where all the numbness is?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello. The numbness starts at my left temple right next to the top of my ear, goes down in front of my ear to the middle of my neck and back to my shoulder and right to my mid-upper arm and stops.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK And does it come an go or is it constant?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It comes and goes. I've also been unusually agitated but it could be because I don't know what's going on.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--just one more question--how long does it last when it occurs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I didn't have it when I woke up it started late this morning and so far for some reason it's been constant today.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. There are two possibilities here, but no matter which it is you need to see your regular doctor and get both an MRI of the brain and the cervical spine. Most likely this is a pinched nerve root in the neck, perhaps from a disk problem, but potentially it could be recurrent transient ischemic attacks--threatened strokes. It really is a symptom that should be evaluated as soon as possible and you shouldn't wait any longer to have it evaluated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I do have problems in my cervical disc area and have been evaluated for pain in my arms two years ago. I do have a pinched but I was afraid it could be something more so I did plan on seeing my doctor this week.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
My pleasure but please let me know how it goes.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice