Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, my dad is in a long term care facility for dementia

Hello, my dad is in a long term care facility for dementia caused by a severe aneurism several years ago. He has copd. We have noticed that his lips and the skin under his nose leading down to his lips is very pale like there is no blood getting there. We have not noticed blue coloring. He has a very ruddy complexion and the lack of color in these areas is very obvious. Any ideas about what it is.
Hi--any change in skin texture in these areas?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not that we have noticed. He has also had diabetes for about six years, two needles a day.
OK. Despite his ruddy complexion it sounds as though he's anemic to the point where at least that one part of his face is pale and whitish. He needs blood work to check for this and then a determination of the cause of the anemia. Most likely it's an iron deficiency anemia but it could also be pernicious anemia from a vitamin B12 deficiency. Less likely it could be a sign of a heart problem like congestive heart failure so that needs to be considered also