Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I am writing about my friend from California who I invited

I am writing about my friend from California who I invited to my home in Florida as he was homeless and ill with chronic bronchitis. He has gone to the ER for his bronchitis and received antibiotics, prednisone and an inhaler. He still struggles with this and it is anticipated he may have COPD. He is uninsured and we’ve not had the financial resources to follow-up and get the necessary testing.

Two weeks after finishing his medications, he began complaining of a lymph node in his neck being very painful and swollen. I’d say it was the size of a ping pong ball. He has stated that he’s had problems with it for a lot longer than he let me know. He went to the ER 3 weeks ago and got antibiotics. Cultures came back negative. With his treatment the size has shrunk somewhat but the pain is still there. After he eats it is worsened.

Can you advise what the concerns may be, what it is, etc? If he had insurance or financial resources he would seek medical attention.

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

Hi there,

I am Mysticdoc, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.

I am here to help you with your concerns.

mysticdoc :

Since antbiotic did help, this can still be from the infection.

mysticdoc :

Antibiotic course can be extended as sometimes it may take longer antibiotic course.

mysticdoc :

Other possibility can be the viral infection which can cause inflammation of the lymph node.

mysticdoc :

THis takes several weeks to go down in that case.

mysticdoc :

There is some risk of cancer which can cause swollen lymph node.

mysticdoc :

But usually that is painless.

mysticdoc :

Hence, that risk is unlikely.

mysticdoc :

If this persists even after 2 weeks, it will be better to consider a neck CT scan and lymph node biopsy for further evaluation.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

Please rate the chat Good or Excellent, if you are satisfied with our conversation and do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time & effort. Thank you!

Please bookmark my profile for asking further questions!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-mysticdoc/

mysticdoc : The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.
mysticdoc : Hi there,
mysticdoc : Since antbiotic did help, this can still be from the infection.
mysticdoc : Antibiotic course can be extended as sometimes it may take longer antibiotic course.
mysticdoc : Other possibility can be the viral infection which can cause inflammation of the lymph node.
mysticdoc : THis takes several weeks to go down in that case.
mysticdoc : There is some risk of cancer which can cause swollen lymph node.
mysticdoc : But usually that is painless.
mysticdoc : Hence, that risk is unlikely.
mysticdoc : If this persists even after 2 weeks, it will be better to consider a neck CT scan and lymph node biopsy for further evaluation.
mysticdoc : Best wishes,
This is the link to my profile: