Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience
8227957

For ten years or more I have had abdominal discomfort on my

For ten years or more I have had abdominal discomfort on my right side. I have had CT scans, ultrasounds, etc. Only thing revealed was echogenic liver in August of 2012. All of my bloodwork (including liver enzymes)has always been normal. Last ultrasound was August 2012; last bloodwork was this month. I am beginning to think that my discomfort might be attributed to one of three things: scars or damaged nerve tissue from emergency hysterectomy 11 years ago, or maybe related to my chronic lower/middle back issues, or excess abdominal fat. Any input? My massage therapist has some theory about myofascial pain. I am at my wits end. I don't think it's serious bc it doesn't actually hurt but it is just frustrating not knowing what the deal is.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

In which part of right side precisely, lower or upper?

What does aggravate the discomfort?

Do you have any other symptom with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is Dependent. If you can picture your belly button and draw a horizontal line to the right and then straight up; almost in the form of an L. I have no other symptom other than back pain in my middle and lower back. Brief history; emergency hysterectomy in 2001(post delivery) appendectomy in 2010, GERD with a hiatal hernia, 3 CT scans in 2010, seven ultrasounds since then last one in 2012, herniated and bulging discs as well as degenerative disc disease, colonoscopy and upper endoscopy in 2010. Bloodwork all normal in June.

Sometimes stress aggravates it but thts sort of a stretch. Nothing in particular has a direct effect on it.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.

The discomfort can be due to a few factors.

Though liver is a frequent cause of pain on this side but as it is at the level of belly button, it is unlikely to be related to it.

Your blood tests are also normal.

As you have herniated disc disease, it can be related to it.

Pressure or impingement on nerve can cause discomfort pain.

Sometimes gas, intestinal spasm, urinary issues can cause pain there.

Scar tissue can also cause a dragging discomfort.

As repeated ultrasound, CT are normal, I feel you need not to worry much.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes my dr has tested every three months for the past nine months since I started a statin for my cholesterol. They do a complete workup as well as liver function an enzymes. Always normal. At this point I am completely frustrated but you think even with the last ultrasound ten months ago I should not be worried? Should I just accept it and deal?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
You had blood tests this month & those were normal.

If there is any change in liver function, that would reflect in blood tests.

Though you had ultrasound 10 months back, I feel as blood tests are normal, you need not to worry.

I understand your frustration as you are suffering for years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But don't worry at this point?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Yes, at this point, you should not worry.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 35 years of experience