A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

With the new digital mammography can the technician tell you

With the new digital mammography can the technician tell you immediately if you are going to need additional screening -i.e -- more detailed mammogram - sonogram, etc.

Welcome and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever i can to try to help you.

The benefit of digital mammography is that it produces a clearer picture than film. As for how soon one gets the result, that really depends on the facility. While the information is available immediately because it is stored digitally in real time, it won't be released until the radiologist has read it. The technician cannot (and should not) tell you anything. Their job is to obtain the images. They don't have the expertise to read them. Generally the radiologist will check it soon and you will know if you need additional screening, but it isn't 100% guaranteed. If you have been sent because you you have a problem (a suspicious mass), it is a diagnostic mammography and that is more likely to be read immediately and you would have the result. For screening purposes, you generally get a letter in the mail in a day or two with the results.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

ξ