Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

Hi, Im 19 and am experiencing leg pain on the left side of

Hi, I'm 19 and am experiencing leg pain on the left side of my left leg more so between my hip and my knees (but.not the full way just parts of that) I really notice the pain lying down on the left hand side and after exercising its most painful lying down on hard ground! I'm very active so I'd rather not sit around all day even tho it is probably best! Can anybody give me and insight to what it might be?!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

When did the pain start?

How frequently do you feel it?

Is there any swelling, redness?

Did you have any injury or past illness?

Are you overweight?

Did you consult doctor or take any medicine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The pain started about 2/3 week's ago, it has seemed to have gotten worse in the past week, every time I lie on my left side or getting out of bed or leaning my full weight on it then there is pain. There is no swelling or redness, I'm 10.5 stone so not Overweight! I haven't injured myself in a long time! I haven't been to a doctor as I'm not sure if it's a doctor or physiotherapist I should see about it! Thanks for your prompt reply!

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tara, for the information.

There can be a few possibilities for the pain.

Muscle pull or strain can cause it.

There can be iliotibial band syndrome.

This is common in athletes, runners.

Another possibility is Meralgia.

It is due to nerve impingement but it is more often seen in overweight persons & it is unlikely.

I would advise to take an examination by your doctor.

He can then refer you to physical medicine doctor or physio.

You need to give rest to the leg & avoid over activity.

Symptomatic relief can be obtained by taking analgesics like tylenol, motrin etc.

Massaging, gradual stretching can be helpful.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience