Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

Hello, Im a foster parent and had a child who had low

Customer Question

Hello, I'm a foster parent and had a child who had low bmi, but was on concerta 54mg daily. he is small frame through genes,v eats a well balanced diet daily. I took him to the dr to see how we can increase his weight and have him on high calorie meals, he did allergy tests, which were negative.. took him to a nutritionist who took him off of highcaloric diet to portion control, no red 40 and no high fructose corn syrup. now the social worker took him for a follow up visit with his dr. who told her he was unaware that the child was on concerta, urinated in his room, and that I was unhappy with the nutritionist recommendation. he also said he requested I follow up with a specialist, which he never did. the swk then took the kids away from me and when I enquired my supervisor told me she claimed medical neglect and requested the dr to call to SCI, the state call center to make a neglect report on me. is this medical neglect when I have taken him to all appointments, and got him all the requested bloodwork?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray MD : From your description you have not been neglectful of the child at all!!
Anthony Bray MD : the high dose concerta should be stopped as this impairs appetite.
Anthony Bray MD : Other options may be helpful for ADD if he needs this. Strattera may have some negative impact on appetite but generally not nearly as much.
Anthony Bray MD : cyproheptadine may be helpful to increase appetite if needed.
Anthony Bray MD : i am sorry that you are going through this trouble!
Anthony Bray MD : I hope that things work out well for you and the child!
Anthony Bray MD : if my responses have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback! That would be very much appreciated! Thank you and best regards!
Anthony Bray MD : Anthony Bray MD