Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

Im not sure if Im feeling my thyroid or not. What is the

I'm not sure if I'm feeling my thyroid or not. What is the tissue on each side of your throat? Is it normal to be able to feel that?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Exactly where in the throat?

How large is the tissue?

When did it start?

Does it move when you swallow?

Is there any pain, or any other symptom?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's on each side of the Adam's apple. I had a ct scan of e neck a month ago and there wasnt anything mentioned in the report. Not really horribly concerned, but curious when I read that it shouldn't be palpable. It feels like normal tissue I believe, but I can feel it. I'm observant because I had some minor lymphadenopathy in the neck on the scan, but a negative biopsy of one of the nodes. Normal blood work too.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the information .

Those are unlikely to be thyroid tissue.

Thyroid gland lies further down.

Ectopic or abnormal position of thyroid would be detected by scan.

As there was no mention of any such abnormal thing, I feel you can watch it or get it checked by doctor.

Doctor can palpate it physically & suggest its nature.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Well, it begins just below the Adam's apple and continues down my neck. Is that where the thyroid is?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.
I am attaching a picture from an authentic link.

You can see the position & shape of it in this picture.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/thyroiddiseases.html

It is near the bottom of the neck.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's pretty close to where I feel it. If the needle biopsy of a neck lymph node came back benign, would there be any chance of cancer of the thyroid still?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.
Did your doctor examine the tissue?

Did he advise any test for it?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No to both.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.

Then you need to get it checked by doctor.

He can advise an ultrasound examination of thyroid gland.

Lymph node biopsy would determine whether cancer has spread there.
But besides cancer there are other causes for thyroid enlargement.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I may have misspoke. I didn't specifically ask him to check my thyroid, but my ENT has felt my neck as recently as last week and didn't mention anything. My ct scan was from e end of may, and he didn't mention anything when he looked at that. Would my ENT have noticed anything unusual if I did t specifically bring it up?
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 9 months ago.
I would say if any thing abnormal was there in the neck, the ENT specialist would notice it & tell you.

Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok, just wanted to be sure.