Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Hi I took 2mg Valium to ease of the anxiety due to yesterdays

Hi I took 2mg Valium to ease of the anxiety due to yesterday's terrible panic attack. (Had to call an ambulance, thought I was dying, I was hyperventilating like never in my life) The ambulance came and reassured me I was OK, I had some sleep, but today I feel awful with many episodes of panic attack or close to that. I also feel traumatised because of the yesterday's event and I am constantly 'monitoring' my body that doesn't feel right :( I cannot sleep, cannot relax. Can I take two more Valiums ( 2+2grams) now? Tomorrow I am seeing my GP at 1pm, but I worry I won't make through the nite. It's already 2.33am in London. Don't want to call an ambulance again.
Thanks for using Just Answer.The tinglish feeling,hyperventilation and difficulty in breathing are all secondary to anxiety and panic reaction.Use of Clonazepam or Lorazepam would be preferred over valium,though taking another 2 mgms of valium would help if it is advised by your doctor in such emergency situations.Keeping calm,taking deep breaths,trying to meditate ,relaxing the mind would definitely help.It would help if you seek the help of a Psychiatrist /Mental health professional along with medication like antidepressants/SSRIs like Venlafaxine.Counselling /Cognitive behavioural Therapy(CBT) or biofeedback techniques along with medicines have been found to give good results.Regular exercising,support of family and friendswould help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi, many thanks for your answer and the advice given

I've never experienced such an attack as the one yesterday, before. Hence I was never given any medications. Valium I have is 1 one year old given to me by my sis when sometimes I need it to treat fear of public speaking or plane flight. I' did have some panic attacks in the past, but never like this. I was on anxiety medication for one month,20 years ago, though. However, I've never taken any meds after that.

One more note, I've recently(6days ago) went on low carb diet, started to exercise and I'm now maybe thinking that initial dizziness and tiredness which led to the panic attack was partly due to the low level of some vitamins, minerals etc. Maybe.

It is also true that I am going through a stressful period, work+helping my old parents who are suffering from dementia so I guess all this combined hit me.

Is there a way to have an appointment with psychiatrist through NHS?
I am sure your doctor will be able to fix a appointment through your NHS which may take some time.Meanwhile starting off on SSRi/SNRI drugs will help along with antianxiety medicines.The tiredness and stress are bound to aggravate the condition.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see. Many thanks. However, would you be so kind to just provide a definite answer to my actual question- can I take another 2g Valium now? (It's been roughly 5h since I took the last one) or would you rather suggest I try not to take anything(if I can) before I see m GP at 12.50 today? If you can clarify this initial question that I had, it'd be great. I won't bother with anything else. Cheers
Yes,you can take 2 tablets of 2 mgms of valium as it is not a very high dose and will help reduce the anxiety.You need to discuss your medication with your doctor who can also suggest what to do to avoid a impending attack /panic reaction.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Many thanks. I wouldn't like to become dependant on drugs, however.. I 've managed without them for 20 years, and I hope I can do the same soon. It's just this period in which I feel like I lost control due to so many stress-related things. Thank you once more for your help and advice given. All the best.x
Thank you for accepting my answer.I am available at this site if asked for by name,thanks again and God Bless.I wish you good health and joy.