Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I woke up this morning and felt my left lower head asleep,

I woke up this morning and felt my left lower head asleep, the feeling is like when your arms and legs fall asleep. This is the first time this happened to me. Is this a sign of illness, condition? Anything serious? I am 64 yrs female and in good health, the only prescription I take is calcitonin. I don't smoke, drink or take any drugs over the counter or otherwise.

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

For how much duration did the numbness last?
Did you do any measure (like moving the neck) for the recovery?

Was there any abnormal position during sleep (high pillow)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The duration was about 1 to 2 minutes. No I didn't move my neck I rubbed the area to wake it up like I would do when my hand falls asleep. I dont think my pillow is high, I slept the same way I always do every night.

Thank you for a quick reply.

Joan Peterson

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I've been waiting for an answer for almost two hours?

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also. I am sorry for the inconvenience you faced. I would like to reassure you that there is nothing serious likely with this short term numbness. You felt this numbness because of some nerve compression during sleep. It's same as one can get feeling of sleeping arm, the mechanism there is a nerve compression. If you are feeing alright now, you don't need anything further. Just relax, hopefully this will not happen again but if this happens again then get your xray cervical spine to make sure that there is no disc problem but i am hopeful that you will be fine. I hope this helps you, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery