Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

I am concerned about a hard knot in the back of my neck right

Customer Question

I am concerned about a hard knot in the back of my neck right at my hairline. It's tender, but hard. I was also worried about some swollen lymph nodes in my neck very recently, after a sinus infection (sinus infection was 7 weeks ago). I had a CT scan of my neck and abdomen on 5/29. That CT scan showed mild lymphadenopathy in my neck. It showed the lymph node that I was concerned about (in the right posterior triangle) was 1 cm. The abdomen was 100% clear at that time. My blood work also came back normal. I had a needle biopsy of a lymph node on the right side of my neck (not the 1 cm one in the right posterior triangle, but a 0.7 cm node just below the jaw on the right side). The results came back as benign.

This morning, I woke up and was feeling around and noticed that I have what feels to be a hard knot in the back of my neck right where the hairline meets my neck. I went to the ENT who I have been seeing, and he relooked at my CT scan from 5/29 and felt my neck. He said that it didn't feel like a node. That was a couple of hours ago and I keep feeling it. I can't help but to worry because it feels so hard. Am I right to be worried, or am I obsessing for no reason?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question I am Dr. German I would be here to help you and give you assistance until you are satisfied,according to your medical history , I think you are getting extremely anxious and worrying too much .

Specially , when all the tests have been normal including the previous lymph node biopsy ,the blood tests , the CT scan that was performed less than 2 months ago and the physical examination by your ENT doctor.

There are other things completely benign ,that can be felt like a hard knot in the back of your neck including : bone spurs,cyst ( a fluid filled sac under the skin with a hard external cover ) or an ingrown hair . On the other side ,most people have small knots in the scalp and the neck ,a normal variation of the scalp surface , not related to any malignancies .

So try to relax and stop worrying ,everything is fine .

If you need any additional information I will be happy to continue further and assist you until you are completely satisfied . Good luck to you and have a good day !

Please leave a positive feedback ( click on excellent or good service ) if you are satisfied with my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think it's just this new knot in combination with everything else and the fact that the other lymph nodes haven't gone down.

As far as the knot tin the back of the neck, it has become very tender from my pushing on it all day.

I guess my biggest concern is that this has popped up since the 5/30 CT scan. Would that even be possible? The ENT said everythig looked normal in the CT scan, but it doesn't feel normal to me. You can't see anything, but I can definitely feel it.

Do most people have a knot in the middle of the back of their neck?

If I am just blowing this way out of proportion, please let me know.

Sorry.

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes, You are blowing things out of proportion , a lot of people have knots in the middle of their neck or laterally .

If you continue touching ,you definitely will feel some small knots or irregularities that is normal , you need to stop worrying ,there is nothing wrong with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok ok cool. Is it possible that it could be from stress in that location? In the nape?
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
No ,the stress itself does not produce a knot ,but when you are under stress ,your scalp and neck muscles contract and as result , You could feel some knots in the nape product of that contraction.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My anxiety has been on overdrive for the last month and a half. My pillow is also really flat. Would that maybe it?

I guess I worry that they missed something with the fine needle biopsy, but I feel like that fear isn't rational.

Would your final guess be either from the tension from stress or the pillow?

Then I'm done with the questions.
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Using a flat pillow does not produce this , the stress in certain way could be involved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure if you got my most recent question. I feel like its gotten much bigger today since I noticed it. That's probably not a lymph node because it wouldn't enlarge that much in one day from messing with it. Is that accurate?

I believe that I'm ok. Just confirming.
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
When you touch an area once and once again , you could irritate it producing inflammation and the knot could be felt enlarged product of that inflammation or the lymph nodes could react and get inflamed if you touch that area excessively.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has gone from a small hard spot to now going all the way down the back of my neck. Does that sound more like a muscle knot?
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could be a muscle knot ,many of them are product of stress.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I put ice on it tonight? Will that help it go down?
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it could help, do not put ice directly , wrap it in a towel and apply it on the area.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. One more question. I lift weights a few times per week. This could also be a contributing cause, huh?
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
If you do not practice stretching movements before you lift weights ,yes ,it could be a contributing cause.