Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I recently suffered from a motorcycle accident and received

I recently suffered from a motorcycle accident and received 'bruised ribs' on my left side. The pain has gotten much better however I feel a slipping sensation just below my arm pit. The area of the slippage feels like it is in the area where by bra wraps around my body. The slipping sensation feels like a rib is popping out of place and is followed by sharp pain that radiates into my back and a dull ache for hours. I've seen articles on 'slipping rib syndrom' but they all refer to the ribs at the bottom of the rib cage. Can this happen to ribs further up? Is this something i will have to battle the rest of my life?

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this situation

Dr Brims :

This is unlikey a slipped rib, there may have been a dislocation of the rib head at the sternocostal joint or vertebrocostal joint

Dr Brims :

These take time to heal, and you would likely have to suspend strenuous activities while the pain continues. It should heal within 3 months, but it may take as long as 6 months

Dr Brims :

I am happy to chat with you about this further, and would like to obtain more information from you when you are online

Were you able to see my replies in the chat session?