Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

How can blood draws after the administration of IV fluids affect

How can blood draws after the administration of IV fluids affect a person's BAC?

Hello and thank you for the question.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.

I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

You need to answer a few questions first which will help me assist you in a better way.

Are you referring to Blood Alcohol Content (BAC)?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Blood was drawn after the instillation of iv fluids. About an hour and 1/2 passed between the start of iv fluids and blood draw. I read an article that stated that iv fluids will bring alcohol out of the interstitial space and back into the bloodstream and therefore elevate the bac

Thank you for clarification Cindy.

Theoretically speaking, IV rush of fluids will dilute the serum (liquid component of the blood) and this effects stays for few hours until all the excess fluid given via intravenous route is filtered out of the blood through the kidneys and passed out as urine.

This dilution effect of IV fluids can affect the tests done on serum (which not only include BAC but also other commonly performed tests like liver function tests or kidney function).

However, practically the effect of IV fluids (especially if they are not given in large amounts) on BAC is minimal.

Some cases have been reported where the blood was drawn from the same arm down stream the IV fluid site (when it was infused) and the results showed abnormal results due to dilution.

Also the results can be affected by type of IV fluid given such as in case of ringers lactate solution infusion, the blood levels of sodium lactate will go up with resultant increase in levels of alcohol detected by enzymatic analysis.

I hope this clarifies and answers your question.

It was a pleasure assisting you and thank you very much for visiting us.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. So to clarify, if he received Lactated ringers then it could or could not increase the BAC?

Yes, this may or may not increase the BAC depending upon various factors.

The amount of Ringers lactate given.

The site from where the sample was taken.

Timing of the sample.

Hope this clarifies.

Kindest Regards.