Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.

I sprained my ankle badly five years ago and am supposed to

I sprained my ankle badly five years ago and am supposed to wear sneakers all the time. I have been in sandals for months because of athletes feet. My foot, ankle and calf are swollen and I have developed a very itchy rash on my ankle. I just put ice on and the swelling went down. it is worse in the middle of the night with the itching. I have had swelling of this ankle on and off for all five years as expected but now I have this rash too. I have sleep apnea so I do sit at the computer for hours at a time as I am very tired and drink a lot of caffeinated drinks. in the past few days I also went up and down stairs a lot. I had the rash once before after wearing new socks but no swelling. now I have the swelling and the rash. I am concerned. thanks.

Are you overweight?

Which ankle is involved?

Any medical history like Diabetes,Hypertension?

Any fluid discharge from rash?

Is area warm to touch?

When have you seen your doctor recently?

Are you taking any medications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes I am 5'1, 155 lbs. and I smoke. left ankle. no diabetes or hypertension except when on steroids. both conditions went away. last blood test sugar was low. yes I have arthritis. no fluid discharge. yes warm to touch. I take valium, paxil, Prilosec.

saw dr. a few months ago for extreme fatigue but did not follow up. hospitalized in winter for sinusitis/bronchitis.

Thanks for providing more information.

Well as you have recurrent swelling,rash on ankle and calf so possible causes may include Stasis dermatitis,Venous insufficiency,Deep vein thrombosis.

In my opinion,you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and a clinical examination by your regular doctor should be considered ASAP.

If you leave it untreated then it can be dangerous.

Also avoid prolonged hours of sitting or standing in same positions.

Elevate your legs.

Apply OTC 1% hydrocortisone cream mixed with Bacitracin.

And take OTC Motrin and Claritin.

Further color doppler study of lower limb should be advised.

I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a positive rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I also have a history of exzema and psoriasis. could this be psoriatic arthritis?

Well psoriatic arthritis can result in ankle swelling.

However other possible causes should be ruled out as they can be serious if left untreated.

So in my opinion,you shouldn't ignore your symptoms and it is good to see your doctor ASAP.

I hope this helps.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Good Luck.

Thank you.