Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I had a large boil on my back lanced a week ago in the ER.

I had a large boil on my back lanced a week ago in the ER. I was given the material to pack it and have been doing so. Changing it every 12 hours. The boil was lanced Sunday. Drainage has decreased and the redness has gone down in the surrounding area which is good. Still a fair amount of drainage, but less than before. The wound seems to have gotten deeper, however. It was barely enough of a hole to pack with a white film in the wound, and now it is about a half inch deep and the white film seems to have disintegrated. SO it is getting better, but deeper. I am on Clindamycin. Should I be concerned about the depth or is it just getting everything out and taking bad tissue with it?

Hello Dee,

The necrosed or dead tissue and debris come out by the packing and half an inch deeper wound is not worrisome (the increase in depth in first week is not uncommon). Especially when the other signs like decreased drainage and reduced redness denote better control of infection and healing. At this point of time, it is not concerning. Please do not worry.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.