Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

How can blood draws after the administration of IV fluids affect

How can blood draws after the administration of IV fluids affect a person's BAC?

Hello Cindy,

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Are you concerned about blood alcohol content?
How much and what kind of intravenous fluid was administered?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm not certain about the amount. I believe it was normal saline. A line was started in an ambulance and then ran for about an hour or so before the blood was drawn. I read in another article that running fluids will pull the alcohol out of the tissue and back into the bloodstream, therefore making the BAC higher. But I can't find any documentation on that.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Plus pain med were administered as well as meds for high blood pressure

The intravenous fluids or oral fluids do not affect the metabolism and blood levels of the alcohol. For the metabolic purpose (which means blood levels) and elimination of alcohol itself from the body, about 10 gm (one drink) of alcohol in metabolized (which is not dependent on the oral or IV fluids) from the body. Please see the resource heading, " Metabolism (elimination):"

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/alcohol_intoxication/article_em.htm

This process, is not affected by the intravenous fluids. The blood level of the alcohol is also not affected by the pain and blood pressure medications, I am afraid.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. So the article I read that stated :( alcohol follows fluid and the instillation of iv fluids will pull the alcohol out of the tissues and back into the vascular space) and therefore increase the bac was incorrect?

Yes, this is not the correct article and does not point to the right physiological phenomenon.

It is privilege assisting you.