Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have been having pain in my upper arm however I am not sure

I have been having pain in my upper arm however I am not sure exactly where it is coming from, but seems to be somewhere between my shoulder and elbow. Sometimes it also radiates down my arm. It feels like a sharp pain or a weakness of the muscle when I extend it backwards or sometimes if i raise my arm. I sleep on my stomach and tend to sometimes sleep on my arm or with my arm bent backwards. I thought that was the problem and that it would go away, but it keeps coming back, i do still sleep on my stomach so I am having a hard time pinning down if this is what the cause is or if something more is going on.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how long has this been going on? Any problem with your neck?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hello, this has been going on about 2 or 3 months now on and off, and no problems with my neck and I dont seem to have any neck pain...i do seem to have lower back pain that goes through my hip and down my upper thighs. I have been having this back pain on and off also for a few months.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. You're describing a problem with a pinched nerve and even though you don't have any neck problems, it's likely a nerve root in your neck and you may have a disk problem there. Less likely would be a compression of the brachial plexus of nerves under your shoulder. You need an MRI of the cervical spine to check for that and after that, no matter what it showed, I'd refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--for a customized therapy program that should eliminate your symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so this wouldnt be something that would need surgery or that would keep progressing? What causes these pinched nerves? Is it normal for the pain to keep coming and going. Sometimes its a weak feeling with a sharp pain in my arm. Almost like the musle just gives out.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, it doesn't need surgery but you may have a ruptured disk in the neck that's compressing a nerve root and when that happens the pain can shoot down the arm and the muscle can get weak. It comes and goes because in certain positions the disk is bulging out and compressing the nerve root.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is the lower back pain that goes through my hips and the back of my thighs related to this also

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Not specifically but I would also get an MRI of your lower back to look for a disk problem there too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay so you think these problems are being caused by either pinched nerve or disk in my neck or back? There is no reason to think it would be something worse such as bone cancer or something like that?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, it isn't cancer--bone or otherwise. The symptoms you describe are classic for a nerve pinch
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice