Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My husband was referred to a specialist for a CT scan that

My husband was referred to a specialist for a CT scan that showed an irregular nodule in the upper left lobe of lung. Is irregular the same thing as spiculated...or is one worse than the other? Also, is the upper left lobe a higher risk area that would increase the likelihood for a positive PET.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Spiculated is the same as irregular

Dr Brims :

The upper lobe is less of a risk than a lower lobe

Customer:

Oh..I thought the upper lobe was the highest risk so that is good. Is it possible that this could be a pneumonia scar from about 6 months ago? The doc seemed to think it is cancer by looking at the CT. Can pneumonia scar be accurately differentiated from cancer in a CT? He is fairly sure, but there are very few risk factors.

Dr Brims :

A pneumonia scar will not cause a nodule, but a nodule does not have to be cancerous, 80% are not cancerous

Customer:

80 percent...even if they

Customer:

are irregular?

Dr Brims :

If they are irregular then about 50% are cancerous

Customer:

One more thing...do you think it was a little bold to be so sure from a CT and start talking about taking out 2/3 of the lung. He has no symptoms and has not smoked for 30 years, nor does he have family history of any kind of cancer. This was an incidental finding from a chest x ray 2 months ago and the spot did not change from the x ray to the recent CT scan. Can he really be so sure from the CT considering other things seem favorable?

Dr Brims :

Yes, it was bold and too assuming to say it is cancer from a CT scan

Customer:

I kind of thought that! We will get the PET results in a day or tw

Customer:

two..maybe the new will be good.

Dr Brims :

Yes, I hope so

Customer:

Thanks!