Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience

For 6 weeks now I have been feeling bad. I have had an upper

For 6 weeks now I have been feeling bad. I have had an upper GI and was told that I have gastritis and gerd. I have pain on both sides of my rib cage and fluttering /pulsations under left. It has been bad enough to send me to the ER twice. Chest x-ray and heart enzymes come back fine. GB ultrasound was preformed and waiting on results. I'm fatigued and very belchy. It is stopping me from living a normal life. I have been healthy other than this. I am a 36 year old female
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 10 months ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Is the pain constant or it comes and goes?

Customer:

It comes and goes sometimessevere sometimes bothersome

Dr Brims :

Have you had an EKG?

Customer:

Yes twice told it was normal

Dr Brims :

Did you have the pain when you had the EKG?

Customer:

They were both in the Er and yes pain is what brought me in

Dr Brims :

What have you tried for the pain so far?

Customer:

Tylenol told else would be bad on my stomach

Dr Brims :

Have they tried a muscle relaxant?

Customer:

No Dr told me to live through it

Dr Brims :

I see, this may be due to esophageal spasms, or spasms in your intercostal muscles

Dr Brims :

Muscle relaxants may help

Dr Brims :

I would recommend a test called esophageal manometry to diagnose this

Customer:

Was told some pain cou,d be vegas nerve stimulation as once at the ER the pain was radiating into both arms. Like pins and needles

Dr Brims :

I see, the nerve irritation may be causing the spasms

Customer:

I am supposed to follow up with my GI DR. IM Just not getting relief. Its a daily battle

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about that, you should ask the doctor to try you on a calcium channel blocker, it may help the spasms

Customer:

Does fatigue fit into GB issues? Gastrits? Or GERD.

Dr Brims :

GB issues is usually not associated with fatigue, it may be associated with gastritis

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes sorry

Dr Brims :

No problem

Customer:

Should I see a cardiologist..

Customer:

My bp is normal as is my pulse

Dr Brims :

No, you should see a gastroenterologist, you need esophageal manometry , which will evaluate your esophagus

Dr Brims :

I don't think your hear is involved

Dr Brims :

heart*

Customer:

I have been seeing one. I'll ask him about the em

Dr Brims :

That is the best option

Customer:

Thank you

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any questions in the future, you may request me

Customer:

Thank you I will do

Dr Brims :

You're quite welcome

Dr Brims :

If you have any other questions on this topic, please feel free to ask, if you have no other questions on this topic, you may click a rating button to close the chat session

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience